Insulation in the shop trailer

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
The ceiling gets really hot! And it isn't hot yet.

Google turned up a combination of bubble wrap (moisture barrier) and Styrofoam sheets covered with some sort of paneling. No glue. Friction fit until the ceiling paneling goes up.

Adhesive has an outgassing of toxic fumes and will release as the metal expands and shrinks dramatically each day.

Thinking of a white plastic, thin stuff for the ceiling paneling. Saw some once at a plastics distributor. Will look again in June when I am in Phoenix.

Other suggestions more than welcome.

Not considering the walls at this time. Could change, but I don't plan to LIVE in it!

carol if your think of the stuff they use in restaurants for the ceiling plastic i would reconsider, to me it would be a dippity do look on the hot days from expansion and contraction.. i believe wood ply in a painted surface or coated in some form would your best bet..

So the adhesive is out?

Might have to rethink how I'm going to support the insulation in my storage container. So far a friction fit seems to be working, just need to figure out how to support the 8' span..

brent in attics they have wires that are bent to hold it between the rafters ,, perhaps some chicken wire attached to the ceiling to hold it with some tension on it to hold on the structural parts of the ceiling..

Some of the articles I read had 1x3 strips fastened to the ribs. Then chicken wire, netting, or paneling could be added and would have a fastening base. Sounds like it ought to work. Thinking about it.

Painted Luan ply may well prove to be the most practical. Had not considered the expansion/contraction rates of plastic. A narrow battening strip should cover the seams.

Now to think about the curve from the wall to the ceiling. Thinking maybe it is too tight to bend ply.

Two more reasons come to mind for not using any adhesive, besides outgassing and release problems. Two layers of insulation - bubble wrap and foam, and expense. Rather put the money in ceiling paneling for a nice finish. Compromises everywhere! :thumb:

Carol, couple of sources you may want to look at: tnttt.com which has a section covering converting a cargo trailer into a camper. I realize you're not living in it, but the heat issues are the same... also you may want to consider putting on a coat of heat reflective paint such as Cool Top