plumbing for air

Kevin Brown

OK I know there are 1000's of post all over the internet about plumbing your air supply, with a good 95% of them asking what kind of pipe to use, but I've already decided on 3/4" black pipe!

My question is when, where, and how often to filter, regulate, and dry all of this air.

I have a IR 2stage 175psi 24cfm air compressor,and planning on about 175-200ft of pipe, and 5 or 6 drops for now. With one of those for a MIG and one for the finish room, so those two would have to be really clean and dry!

Also any suggestions on brands and or suppliers for filters, regulators, and dryers? I know Norgren, and Motorguard have been recommended in the past, but would like a good place to get them. :thumb:

I may be totally obtuse here, its happened before, but why does a MIG need compressed air?

kevin, i think paintgun depot sells motorgard filters? i`d suggest putting either a series of pipe drops or a refridgerated drier close to your compressor to stop most of the moisture from even entering your piping system....then at the tap for each tool install a down pipe with drain, and a small particle filter.....for paint air use the motorgard after the particle filter and drop...i think, but am not sure, that your plasma cutter will be fine with only a particle filter as long as you catch the moisture at the compressor...tod

HI Kevin. Well, I guess there is no future in trying to convince you to use 3/4" copper. It is much easier to install then iron pipe.

Regarding filters and regulators, I bought mine from McMaster & Carr. Your compressor is larger than my 5hp 60gal. IR. Here is a couple ideas anyway.

1) Shock mount the compressor to minimize the transmission of vibration noise.

2) Use a 2 or 3 foot length of Teflon, stainless steel covered, flexible hose between the compressor tank and your interface to your piping.

3) I use a 'collesing filter' at the interface to the piping. This will pickup any oil and some water, I am lead to believe.

In the 3 years I have had the compressor in service, I have no found any water in the drip valves of the piping.

I distribute 110# air throughout my shop. In the finishing area, I regulate it down to about 60# before it goes to the HVLP regulated spray gun. No specific reason, other than reducing the 'work' the on-gun regualtor has to do.

I hope you have a good pipe cutter and threader, along with a couple good Stillsons.

Finally, you might consider putting a couple unions here and there in the pipe line in case you want to change or add-to your existing layout. The down side is that unions are a pain to install so that they don't leak. Also consider installing cut-off valves at branch points in your piping system.

This advice is worth what you paid.....

So I just need 1 regulator at the compressor?

How many and how big should the loops be a the compressor for the moister?

kevin, i have three drops in the compressor house, rubber line coming into the building, then three more drops before heading into the attic....i don`t get moisture in my drops either..tod

Tod and Ken thank you for your advise, I will try and put it to good use.

HI Kevin. Well, I guess there is no future in trying to convince you to use 3/4" copper. It is much easier to install then iron pipe.

Ken if the price of copper and steel pipe where even close to being in the same zip code, I would use copper, but.......:(

Regarding filters and regulators, I bought mine from McMaster & Carr. Your compressor is larger than my 5hp 60gal. IR. Here is a couple ideas anyway.
That's the same place I'm looking at

1) Shock mount the compressor to minimize the transmission of vibration noise.
Already sitting on 2'X2'X1" rubber pad

2) Use a 2 or 3 foot length of Teflon, stainless steel covered, flexible hose between the compressor tank and your interface to your piping.
Going to use something similar

3) I use a 'collesing filter' at the interface to the piping. This will pickup any oil and some water, I am lead to believe.
Will do

In the 3 years I have had the compressor in service, I have no found any water in the drip valves of the piping.
That's great! I hope I have the same "luck"

I hope you have a good pipe cutter and threader, along with a couple good Stillsons.
I have a friend that owns a plumbing business, so he's going to hook me up with all the toyls for the job :thumb:

This advice is worth what you paid.....
Can IOU?:rofl:

Thanks again guys!