A new challenge ahead of me...

John Pollman

I swear that I'm going to get the shop ORGANIZED!

I spend some time cleaning up now and then, but it's gotten out of control again. I've got a couple more projects in mind, but I'm going to spend some time cleaning up and organizing before I get into them. I finally got a DC, so that will help with some of the mess. But my main thing now is what to do with "scrap". If it's small cut offs that are useless, they go in the trash. But I have a very hard time throwing away anything that's of a size big enough to actually be useful somewhere. Right now my "scrap bin" is overflowing! I want to try to come up with some sort of rack to put sheet goods in and some containers for "scrap".

I'm SURE that I'm not the only one here with this problem! :)

I think the theory is that everyone has to decide what size is too small to keep, but try to keep like sizes together, with some separation of species. I don't practice this theory and is on my list to do as well. Currently I have shorts in smaller tubs and anything 3' - 6' in a barrel, longer stuff is on the wood rack. Sheet goods are against the which has the rack near by (3' or so) for sorting sheets by leaning them against the back of the rack. I did just clean out my original wood scrap bin and plan to get it back in use as such.

Sheet goods (mostly less than a 1/2 sheet of ply) aren't that big of a deal. But I end up with a lot of smaller pieces too. For longer pieces of 1x stock and such, I've got a 5 gallon bucket that I just throw them into. Sorting into sizes is the challenge too. I think I might just go to the BORG and pick up a few more Homer Buckets. Throw pieces of like sizes in them and be done with it. But I'll check out that link too. Thanks Art!

I think the theory is that everyone has to decide what size is too small to keep, but try to keep like sizes together, with some separation of species. I don't practice this theory and is on my list to do as well. Currently I have shorts in smaller tubs and anything 3' - 6' in a barrel, longer stuff is on the wood rack. Sheet goods are against the which has the rack near by (3' or so) for sorting sheets by leaning them against the back of the rack. I did just clean out my original wood scrap bin and plan to get it back in use as such.

Must be nice to have a shop big enough to organize... I keep most of my woods on three racks at one end of the shop, I have a couple of boxes sitting around with cut-off and potential bottle stopper blanks, a few stacks in the corner of some dimensional lumber and a few of bowl blanks and logs to cut into bowl blanks stacked on the floor....anything I can put up in the rafters is on shelf hangers up there... but mostly my shop operates on an method that's been called...."Organized chaos".

Wow, this is a more common problem than I could have imagined. You mean "other" people have trouble trowing away small bits of lumber that "might" be big enough to use "someday"? :rofl:

I thought it was just me. :D

LOL Rennie!

I've made complete projects out of "scrap". I drive my wife nuts. She tells me to throw it all away, but that's NOT going to happen. I may loosen up a little and throw away a piece here and there that I might have normally saved, but you ALWAYS need a small piece for something. Especially when making jigs and such.

I swear that I'm going to get the shop ORGANIZED!

I spend some time cleaning up now and then, but it's gotten out of control again. I've got a couple more projects in mind, but I'm going to spend some time cleaning up and organizing before I get into them. I finally got a DC, so that will help with some of the mess. But my main thing now is what to do with "scrap". If it's small cut offs that are useless, they go in the trash. But I have a very hard time throwing away anything that's of a size big enough to actually be useful somewhere. Right now my "scrap bin" is overflowing! I want to try to come up with some sort of rack to put sheet goods in and some containers for "scrap".

I'm SURE that I'm not the only one here with this problem! :)

The recurring nightmare for all of us no matter how (or how un-) organized we are.

I am making a couple additional bins for my modular scrap bin "tower" right now:

Scrap Bins.jpg

I am building these two modules to be inserted into the stack:

scrap-bin-1.jpg . scrap-bin-2.jpg

After that I may finally get around to doing something about my temporary outfeed table ;-)

I'm really good at organizing cut-offs. I put whatever I want next in the back on the top shelf. Stuff I will probably never use is real handy, right in front.
Now, if I could just figure a way to reverse engineer, I would have it made.

Enjoy,
JimB

Jay, I got my pilot's license when I was very young. You should have seen (well actually you shouldn't) under my bed---I'm not sure the legs of the bed could reach the floor.

The recurring nightmare for all of us no matter how (or how un-) organized we are.
I am making a couple additional bins for my modular scrap bin "tower" right now:

(emphasis added)

See, Glenn, that is my fear... that when I gain space by organizing my stuff, that MORE stuff will just expand to fill it.
The idea is to now USE these pieces of wood that you're saving, not ADD to the pile! :eek::scram:

I'm really good at organizing cut-offs. I put whatever I want next in the back on the top shelf. Stuff I will probably never use is real handy, right in front.
Now, if I could just figure a way to reverse engineer, I would have it made.

Enjoy,
JimB

Jay, I got my pilot's license when I was very young. You should have seen (well actually you shouldn't) under my bed---I'm not sure the legs of the bed could reach the floor.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: