counter top kiln

I made this little kiln a few months ago to dry small things. It works really well so far. I judge how dry things are buy using a thermometer and moisture meter. The dryer it gets the higher the temp will go.

IMAG1119.jpgIMAG1120.jpgIMAG1121.jpg

Yep, I've got a big one in the plans. Just haven't found time to make it yet. I'm still pondering the dimensions for it too. It's going to be a dehumidification kiln.

I did put the metal in thinking it might act kind of as a heat sink. I also did it to protect the bottom from the heat of the bulb too. It probably wouldn't matter but it makes me feel better.:D

John when you do build a kiln if you plan on selling lumber more frequently it may be worth your while to look into the specifications of what the authorities require for wood to qualify for movement across the borders in the way of temp etc.

After seeing Larrys post on price of wood in his parts it got me to thinking of including buying lumber when Linda and I go rving in the US this summer. So I dipsticked the issue but gave up after 3 minutes of reading the requirements. Gonna rather go in and ask when I next cross the border before I cross to see if they will even allow a non commercial person to bring back cut lumber.

I guess as usual the politicians and conservation guys along with trade protection guys have all had a hand in making sure we don't have this happen on mass for all the various reasons and its why our prices are so hugely different. NO competition. There is no long term benefit to this kind of outlook.

My main point is it could open opportunities for your lumber and command a better price simply by having the kiln meet specification and you being able to certify it that way. Dunno.

I'm sure it could. I started to see if I could scrounge one up. My only concern was that it would be to well insulated an hold to much heat. I was worried about heating/drying the wood to fast and causing it to check.

I have mine on a timer. The fan and light come on for 4 hours and off for 4 hours. Once it comes on the temp. will rise inside to around 90 deg. It'll stay in the low to mid 90's for around the last couple of hours of the cycle. As the wood dries it will climb into the low 100's. This is how I can tell it's getting dry.

Last edited: