Thread: Oh no....there goes my cash......

Oh no....there goes my cash......

There is a section of shopping center that I pass everyday on my way to work that has recently had a couple of older smaller buildings torn down this winter. I saw last week that they started to construct a new building on the site. Tonight on my way home from work they were installing the new signs. They only had part of it up as I drove by but the first word said "HARBOR". Is that what I think it is? Im getting a new Harbor Freight store. I use to have to drive over an hour to Indianapolis to get to one. Now I'm less than 5 minutes.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

As long as you watch what you buy, you're safe. There's plenty of supplies I'll get at HF, but other stuff I don't touch.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I love going to HF.

Fun store to buy some little doodads her and there. Fortunately, with their prices, you won't have to spend too much to have fun!

Kind of like a treasure hunt to find the hidden gems.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I love going to HF.

Fun store to buy some little doodads her and there. Fortunately, with their prices, you won't have to spend too much to have fun!

Kind of like a treasure hunt to find the hidden gems.
    Yeah, but a lot of little doo dads can still send you into bankruptcy.
    There are some darn good deals at HF. There are also some real losers. However, they are excellent about returns and giving you your money back.
    I have an 18volt HF drill. It is over 10 years old. Still on the original battery and working fine. It cost me $15.oo. A battery for any of my other drills is $40.oo or more.

Their wood lathes do not take normal chucks and other accessories. On the other hand I am impressed with how well their approximately $80 wood turning tool set works. They can be sharpened as well as expensive tools. They stay sharp much longer than (Heck, I forgot the name of it---and I used to have one. Oh yes, ShopSmith) tools. They are a good weight. The handles are not fancy but they work well.

Do Not Get Me Wrong, I also have 7 turning tools that cost in the $100+ each range. However, if I want to try a different shape cutting edge, I am not going to grind an expensive tool to see if I like it. I do have HF tools that I have reshaped and that are handy when I turn. I really have no desire to dump my HF turning tools. I readily gave my ShopSmith and some other brand turning tools away.

I have several HF pliers. They work fine. However, I would not want to leave them outside over night in our, almost, nightly dew.

I have HF casters that have been terribly over loaded for many years. They still work like new. My $100 twelve-inch disk sander has been in use for over 5 years. It works every bit as well as the #300+ machines. Etc. Etc.

However, to me my Penn State dust collector is vastly superior to HF. It has 2 HP, 1 (that is ONE) micron filtration, two remotes (which I love). Glenn has a Grizzly DC unit that is better than my Penn State, however it cost more. My Penn State keeps my 17" BS clean as a whistle. It also keeps my model 735 thickness planer clean. Sanding on the lathe or the disc is handled very well.Turning a 5" bowl with dry wood is fine on the lathe---Turning larger things or wet wood is a whole different story however.

Gads, it sounds like I own HF stock. I don't.

Enjoy because blabber mouth Bradley is going to shut up now.
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 04-04-2013 at 05:44 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    ...I use to have to drive over an hour to Indianapolis to get to one. Now I'm less than 5 minutes.
    There's still time to move away, Tom.

I have a suggestion: Get out your wallet, take all the bills out of it and spread them out nicely on a table, then take a photo of all the money...for the sake of nostalgia. Because that's the last time you'll have that much money in your wallet again.

I agree with the other guys...HF has some real gems and some real lemons. With a little bit of Internet research, one can get a head start on figuring out which is which.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com