Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun and Adventures in Guitarland

Fun and Adventures in Guitarland

I got to sit in with some buddies playing last night at a nearby roadhouse. Small crowd, but most of them were friends, and a good time was had by all.

I did have a slight problem with bleeding on my strings, though. A week or so ago, I overdid things while practicing and got a blister on my left ring finger...the finger I use the most when bending strings. (Shows how out of shape my playing callouses were.) By the time I rehearsed with the boys Monday night, the blister had hardened and peeled, and I had a decent callous base underneath it. Then Tuesday night, I overdid it again practicing at home, and ended up with another blister. Playing 7 or 8 songs Wednesday night (with a lot of string bending) was probably not prudent, because by about the third song, the blister had turned into a cut, and I was bleeding on my guitar. It doesn't look like much, but it stung like crazy and was in the exact spot where the string hit my finger. It made the remaining songs pretty challenging, for sure.

And it's at least as sore today while typing as it was last night while playing. Ow ow ow ow ow. I know, I'm a wimp.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

As an aside, it was brought to my attention this morning that Jeff (the bass player on the right side of the photo above) are in our 5th decade of sharing stages and playing in front of people. We started playing together in about 1975, and have a lot of war stories to tell.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

5th decade of playing together? youre old.
    Human Test Dummy

That's great Vaughn. Too bad that old geezer with the guitar got in the way, we can't see you in the picture . Glad to hear some of us can still get out there and have some fun playing (blisters and failed callouses aside). I sat down at the keyboard the other day and wasn't sure which keys were which; pathetic.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

well aside from the being old vaughn i am sure all had a good time,, and your cut is just one thing that those of us who havnt played a lick would even think of as hazards of thejob.. and hear i thought it was all wine ,roses and ladiies
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

At least you can make it through 1 whole song!

Great picture Vaughn, and you can't buy friends like that...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looks like a good time. Might try keeping some super glue on hand and give it some new skin as needed, drys pretty quick.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Looks like a good time. Might try keeping some super glue on hand and give it some new skin as needed, drys pretty quick.
    You see, that's why Darren is the Senior admin and pulls in the big bucks. Always thinking, he is...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Think positive...at least it's not your nose pickin finger

Atta boy Vaughn. Now, if someone had made a video of that, whoopee, good listening. Congrats on the longevity of playing together. Keep 'em coming. Aloha.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.