test your tree knowledge tread

I'll start. Maybe we can all learn a thing of 2.
So what tree is this and what use isis wood is it known for.
20130405_165111.jpg

Looks a lot like a baby southern yellow pine... but I suspect that that is way to easy (and hey first to be wrong is something, right?). If correct (unlikely) as far as I know its mostly known for being cheap building lumber, but wikipedia claims its also used for wooden roller coasters (huh who knew).

Think Ryan nailed it...'Slash pine'...also called southern pine, yellow slash pine, swamp pine, pitch pine, and Cuban pine.

Slash pine supplies a large portion of the resin used in making varnish.

Snagged from the net> "It is the ability of tree resins to harden as essential oils evaporate that makes them necessary to the production of commercial varnishes. These resins are readily dis-solvable in solvents like alcohol or petroleum, surfaces are painted with the solutions and as the solvents and oils evaporate,a thin waterproof layer of resin remains".

:dunno:

Wow there are so many kinds of southern yellow pine and a lot look pretty similar..

Little more reading, and I'm thinking specifically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris
slash pine is I think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_elliottii (not that I could tell one from the other in broad daylight..)

More notes:
"The extremely long needles are popular for use in the ancient craft of coiled basket making" - I've seen those, they are very neat.

hey ken what distinguished it from our red pine?

Pinus resinosa {Red Pine} is also known as Norway pine, and is pretty much confined to the Northern forest region.
Northern forest region.jpg
Pinus elliotti {Slash pine} is native to the US Southeast.
slash pine region.png

FWIW, my 'so-called' knowledge, is yesterday's & today's web search knowledge :eek:;) Not even sure yet if I was correct, just taking a guess with the 'varnish' mention & Dave"s talent :thumb:

Edit: Duh, re-read your post...Only thing I can do is guess > that it's the length of the needles..slash being quite longer :dunno:

Last edited: