Surgery Report

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Went OK. Doc said it went well and the implant is in the right place. More than a little discomfort though. My eyes don't dilate well, even with extra drops for the purpose. He had to stretch the pupil to get the cataract out. Thus more pain.

Got the patch off. Starting to see enough to struggle through some computer time, but not much. Tomorrow I fly back to Nevada and get back into the swing of things. I will be back every two weeks for a check up and surgery on the left eye on May 2, then two more two week visit trips. By the end of May I should be through with this but will still need glasses for midrange and reading. Meanwhile no sawdust. Do plan to work on the PP (Putter Palace) though. Lifting restriction comes off after next week. Its only for a week. Drops are for much longer! I learned to set the phone alarm to remind me for the drops.

Looking forward to seeing better. Hope that will come.

Great to hear you're doing well so far! I had little, if any, pain but keeping up with the drop schedule got crazy until I made a little calendar.

Carol,
I'll bet you are glad it's over. Sorry for the pain. After a couple of detached retina surgeries, I can sympathize. It will be worth it, so I hope you heal fast and enjoy the clear vision.

Hi Carol,

Glad you can see me again!

Sorry you were so unfortunate and had pain. That is rare in this age. Next time be nice and dilate all the way for the nice surgeon.

Enjoy,
JimB

I will be more than glad to be intermediary on the TS dust collection stuff from Glenn if it helps you at all.

Jim, the eye is highly irritated. Hard to not touch it. Occasional stab of head pain around the eye socket. Is this normal or should I contact my doctor? Staying with the drops 4 times a day. Don't seem to sooth but then I guess that is not their purpose. Shield on at night. No bending. No lifting. I have wonderful people around me making sure I don't get 'independent.' Think I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing.

Carol, if your eye is irritated, like if it feels as though gravel is in there & you are experiencing pain, see your opthalmologist right away. It's not a crucial thing, but he/she would want to see what's going on & respond accordingly, especially with any pain. You shouldn't be experiencing the pain you described. My wife experienced the same thing (the irritation) & she was told to come in right away. They don't/shouldn't want to delay any review & treatment of anything that doesn't feel right, especially early on in the recovery. As an absolute minimum, call their office to discuss.

Last edited:
Carol

Pain does not go with cataract surgery in this era. Check it out with the surgeon. Don't be like a guy and wait until it is too late and then go to the doctor.

Having said that, I question hydration somewhat because of a temporary change in life style. Your gravily sensation could easily be dry eyeballs. Dry eyeballs can cause the outer coating of the eye (sort of like a wrapping of Saran Wrap) to wrinkle up and feel like sand. The inner side of the eye lids can also get rough if not adequately hydrated. Just ask yourself: 1 Have I been consuming enough water? Since I am somewhat restricted in activities, have I been consuming too much caffeine? Am I consuming more goodies (pie, cake, candy, cookies, pretzels, sodas, etc.) than I should? Has my alcohol intake gone up?

Your meds are primarily to keep you from getting an infection and lousing up the good work done by the doc. There is probably some steroid in the meds you took after the first day. Your doc would get a good laugh out of this extreme oversimplification---Steroids promote healing. However under certain conditions, steroids make you more susceptible to infection.

Disclaimer: I have not been in surgery for over 10 years (just like computers---10 years is eternity) so anything I say may be taken with a grain of Hilarity today.

Enjoy your new vision,
JimB

Thanks, Jim,

The eye is MUCH better today. No pain. I think I am OK. The surgeon is also 400 miles away so dropping by is not practical though I will be seeing him again next week. I am pretty good about drinking water though I can certainly up that intake. As for the sweets and caffeine, not on my diet and I am also pretty good about staying with my eating plan. As for the pain, I sort of expected it. He had to wrestled with the pupil to get the cataract out he said. He indicated that I would feel out of sorts for a few days. Today it is a bit scratchy but not much. It is much more comfortable. Thanks for your insight, even if you feel it is outdated.