Thread: Nice score today!

Thumbs up Nice score today!

Hi folks,
    A few weeks ago I was talking to my mom on the phone and mentioned how difficult climbing stairs is becoming. She said that I should look into getting one of those electric stair lifts. I said that would be nice but I'm sure that they would be too pricey. Insurance doesn't cover it because it's considered home modification and not medical equipment. I got a quote for one unit and it was $3K! I looked at a similar unit that I could get for about $2K which was much better, but still out of my budget. Well this morning I checked craigslist and found a used one listed at an estate sale for $300. I called and it was still available so I grabbed some tools (it was still installed and I'd have to remove it). Then headed out the door to hit the bank and go take a look. As soon as I walked in, the guy running the sale said "It's the second day of the sale and everything is 25% off". Cool! I found the stair lift and gave it a try. It's older but he said that they just put two brand new batteries in it a few days ago and that I could have it for $225. I just said SOLD!

The measurement from the nose of the top stair to the basement floor in my house is 144" and so was this stairway so I figured it would drop right in place and I'd be golden. But I got home and completely forgot that I have an extra deep basement which the house it came out of didn't have. I never even thought about the rise and run of the stairs which should have been my FIRST measurement and thought. The overall length is the same, but my stairs are a little steeper. Oh well, after getting it in place and tweaking it a bit, I think I've got it figured out. I just have to build some adapter pieces that will make up for the difference in height as the track goes further down the stairs. It shouldn't take long and I know I can make it sufficiently sturdy and safe. I'm gonna do that tomorrow. It's going to be a very big help as far as ease and SAFETY for me going up and down the stairs!
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I agree John, Nice score. I could use one too, but my stairs are in two shorter flights with a 180 degree turn around in the middle. That will be more expensive to buy, and maybe impossible to find used. I been looking. Aloha and enjoy yours.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Congrats John, that should be a great help to you.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Great find John
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Great find John. That's gonna make life easier for you.

That was meant to be for you, great score

I was really bummed when I first got it home. I thought it wasn't going to work. I thought about it for about and hour and figured it out. It's very sturdy and it's not going anywhere. I just finished the installation about a half hour ago. It works great! I've only got $260 invested in it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stair lift1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	74905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stair lift2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	74906
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Where there's a will, there's a way. Good job John. Every time I see one of these I think of the scene from Gremlins where the lady got launched. Don't feed the Gremlins John

LOL Ted!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Where there's a will, there's a way. Good job John. Every time I see one of these I think of the scene from Gremlins where the lady got launched. Don't feed the Gremlins John
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault