Nice score today!

John Pollman

Hi folks,
A few weeks ago I was talking to my mom on the phone and mentioned how difficult climbing stairs is becoming. She said that I should look into getting one of those electric stair lifts. I said that would be nice but I'm sure that they would be too pricey. Insurance doesn't cover it because it's considered home modification and not medical equipment. I got a quote for one unit and it was $3K! I looked at a similar unit that I could get for about $2K which was much better, but still out of my budget. Well this morning I checked craigslist and found a used one listed at an estate sale for $300. I called and it was still available so I grabbed some tools (it was still installed and I'd have to remove it). Then headed out the door to hit the bank and go take a look. As soon as I walked in, the guy running the sale said "It's the second day of the sale and everything is 25% off". Cool! I found the stair lift and gave it a try. It's older but he said that they just put two brand new batteries in it a few days ago and that I could have it for $225. I just said SOLD! :)

The measurement from the nose of the top stair to the basement floor in my house is 144" and so was this stairway so I figured it would drop right in place and I'd be golden. But I got home and completely forgot that I have an extra deep basement which the house it came out of didn't have. I never even thought about the rise and run of the stairs which should have been my FIRST measurement and thought. The overall length is the same, but my stairs are a little steeper. Oh well, after getting it in place and tweaking it a bit, I think I've got it figured out. I just have to build some adapter pieces that will make up for the difference in height as the track goes further down the stairs. It shouldn't take long and I know I can make it sufficiently sturdy and safe. I'm gonna do that tomorrow. It's going to be a very big help as far as ease and SAFETY for me going up and down the stairs!

I agree John, Nice score. I could use one too, but my stairs are in two shorter flights with a 180 degree turn around in the middle. That will be more expensive to buy, and maybe impossible to find used. I been looking. Aloha and enjoy yours.

I was really bummed when I first got it home. I thought it wasn't going to work. I thought about it for about and hour and figured it out. It's very sturdy and it's not going anywhere. I just finished the installation about a half hour ago. It works great! I've only got $260 invested in it!

stair lift1.jpgstair lift2.jpg

Where there's a will, there's a way. Good job John. Every time I see one of these I think of the scene from Gremlins where the lady got launched. Don't feed the Gremlins John:)