Refinishing old oak?

Couldn't find a groan, but a facepalm will do in a pinch...

1310480585093.jpg

Man Vaughn you got me with this one again. I have a saw gut and tears running down my face from laughing. I am sure anyone hearing me must think i just gone off my rocker. That was hilarious.

I envy your sense of humor man i cannot imagine getting one ounce of work done working in the vicinity of you.

Bill sure is great to see you posting. I note that we have new picture police in town glad Darren twisted you arm for pics.

That sure is a cool pew. I aint no help on the finishing just happy to see you around and getting back into the shop.

You sure got a rousing welcome from the gang but i know you got broad shoulders. :)

Where is Dave Hawksford when we need him. He would know exactly what to do.

On the concrete well hey its concrete slap some tiles it then its gone. Good save on Doorlinks part. Perhaps Vaughns limerick will do the trick to soften the pain.

Doorlink's completely immune to poetry at this point. "Ho-hum, another poem. What would a *real* woodworker do?"

There IS always haiku...

Cherry blossoms falling:
They left dark stains on the porch.
Sadly, so did I.

There once was a poet named Bill

Hmmm. Turnabout's fair play. "There once was a turner named Vaughn... ;)

Hey, I had no idea so many words rhymed with Vaughn! http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=vaughn&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l&org3=y

Who worked at his lathe until dawn...

Who barbequed tropical prawns...

Who courted a trumpeter swan... ;)

I seriously better stop there. I just used rhymezone to look up rhymes for turning blanks. Then I thought of another word, instead of blanks. Then I thought of other parts of a lathe. But this is a family site... ;)

Next confession: I did try lacquer thinner. Didn't have much, but it got some of the color out. Sadly, it also cleaned the concrete around the spots, making them stand out. I have some Naptha, so I guess I'll try that in the morning, after washing away the detergent...

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Dang kids and their Internet rhyming sites. Back in my songwriting days, I'd just write the alphabet on the margin of the page and run through the letters, replacing the first consonant in the word with each one on the list. Of course, a lot of songs don't rhyme anymore. Dang kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to. I was overly optimistic about how well the citristrip worked. It had an effect, but there's way more to do...

Not only that, but I scraped it a little. I've got some sanding ahead of me. Now I remember why I don't enjoy refinishing :(

Sorry you were disappointed with Citristrip. As I stated when I suggestred it that it's best to start with mild forms of stripper, and if not satisfied to move on to stronger versions. Here was my suggestion:
I would just start with a chemical stripper. I would first give a waterbase stripper a try, like Citristrip. It's not as toxic as an MC (methylene chloride) stripper. It can be used indoors, smells like oranges, and is water clean-up. I would give it a chance first, even with a couple of applications. I like starting off with the least toxic and easiest to use method. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, I would then use an MC based stripper. They are very toxic, and I would recommend gauntlet type chemically resistant gloves, a two cartridge respirator, and face/eye protection. Work in a well ventilated area.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif