Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Lie Nielsen to export hand tool to China

  1. #1

    Lie Nielsen to export hand tool to China

    Hi guys and gals. I don't post here often but I though some of you may be interested the this article.

    http://bangordailynews.com/2013/03/2...na/?ref=search

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,472
    at first reading i thought that they were gonna have china make there tools but instead its them selling great tools to china, good for them
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12,251

    Re: Lie Nielsen to export hand tool to China

    Warms the cockles of my heart to see this. Nothing better for me.
    I have never doubts that many Canadian and US products could be exported to China. All it takes is to go there meet people develop relationships and begin selling. Its not complicated.
    But....you have to develop relationships not contracts. The other thing is u got to do it with a long term mentality. Like customers anywhere they too do not want to buy something and find 1 year later the company pulled out and left them in the lurch which has happened often because westerners fail to understand the way they do business in China.
    The other thing is niche markets. China is geared for mass production but not that great on low volume non mass produced product.
    If I could do it from South Africa and I aint no NASA rocket scientist just a joe that believes it can be done, and do it in the hi tech commercial goods market then heck others can too.
    But you got to invest the time and effort to understand the customer.
    I started by taking my wife to China on honeymoon how many business guys would do that?

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Amherst, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,604
    Not to be a Debby Downer ( i'm really quite happy for a New England Company) but how long do you think they will need before they copy it and start selling them here. Patents don't mean squat in China.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Villa Park, CA
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Not to be a Debby Downer ( i'm really quite happy for a New England Company) but how long do you think they will need before they copy it and start selling them here. Patents don't mean squat in China.
    The Chinese don't need to make a deal with LN to be able to copy the planes. They could get a friend to buy a set of planes here in the US and ship them to China. I believe the reason the Chinese would want LN tools is the "Brand" name. My observation of wealthy Asians is that they like brand names, in tools, clothes, bags, etc.

    I'm familiar with Japanese motorcycle clubs that specialize in Harley Davidson bikes (every member owns a HD), even though the Japanese bikes are quite a bit less expensive and perhaps better bikes. They just want the brand of "Harley Davidson". I think it's the same with LN tools - it's a status symbol.

    I'm sure that China has already copied LN planes (WoodRiver, for example) and could sell them to Chinese customers if all they wanted was a cheaper version of the LN plane.

    Mike

    [Did you know that 96% of all the Harley Davidson bikes ever made are still on the road? The other 4% made it home.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-08-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Similar Threads

  1. For Allen Levine: Lie Nielsen Tool Event in Brooklyn
    By Bill Satko in forum Neander Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
  2. FYI - Lie-Nielsen Hand Tool Event in SoCal LA/OC
    By Dan Gonzales in forum Neander Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
  3. A few more Hand Tool Makers
    By Gary Roberts in forum Neander Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 07:21 AM
  4. Almost done my hand tool cabinet!
    By Dominic Greco in forum Neander Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
  5. hand tool cabinet
    By jim capozzi in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •