Turning a Lamp Shade - Who here showed this guy how to do it?

Larry, it will probably warp a bit, but it's thin enough I'd bet it won't move much. The light bulb should dry it out pretty quick too.

Cool process and end product, but in my opinion, removing his face protection when making finishing cuts on a large thin piece is a sign that his reproductive organs are bigger than his brains. :rolleyes:

Cool process and end product, but in my opinion, removing his face protection when making finishing cuts on a large thin piece is a sign that his reproductive organs are bigger than his brains. :rolleyes:

Beat me to it! Those ear muffs are going to really help keep his face intact! What a bozo.

That Berger tool looks interesting. I have never seen it in use. Aesthetically, I was not very thrilled with the resulting shade. Reminded me of plywood. I have seen other lamp shades made from large formed pieces of veneers that are more attractive. That's just me.

That Berger tool looks interesting. I have never seen it in use. Aesthetically, I was not very thrilled with the resulting shade. Reminded me of plywood. I have seen other lamp shades made from large formed pieces of veneers that are more attractive. That's just me.

I have both sizes of the Berger tool. They were given as a gift. To tell you the truth I had a hard time learning how to present it to the wood. Finally. Soren was in the vendor area at a symposium and I was able to get him to show me how to use it. The slightest change in the amount of rotation of the edge made all the difference. It was not intuitive for me.

They cut very well on green wood but on dry wood they are too much like a scraper in my opinion. You can make the curlies fly just like in the video with green wood.

Pretty sure that's Soren Berger sp?

Yes it is Soren Berger. See http://www.facebook.com/woodturning and February 2012 on his timeline.

i...that hunk of cherry:)

He says, "Please before you write a negative comment about the waste of wood, please realize , this is fast growing pine, it had already been cut down to be used as firewood, the centre of the log is sap wood and is very poor quality, and all the wood chips are reused in another way, for heating, or in the garden."

I bet the center of the log wasn't sapwood, unless trees grow inside out in New Zealand, but it did look like pine to me.

well charlie, i didnt know the guy and didnt see his face book page and i was going from the bark and the wood color at the beginning but your probably right because the grain didnt look right on the shade.. and we know you know of this guy and his links so i stand corrected:)

went back for a second look and no sap wood so yup your absolutely correct,, sorry for mis-interpeting

Last edited: