Spalted Cherry Twig Pot

Jeff Bower

Had a little time to turn somehting small and fast last night. It's about 10" tall and 4" round towards the bottom. Finish is my homebrew danish oil. Took probably 15mins total...gotta do more of this cuz it was fun! :DComments and critiques encouraged! :thumb:

I just split up a bunch of this cherry because I thought it was punky. :bang: At least my friend can use it to smoke some meat I guess. I've got a couple big hunks I held onto so that will be coming up soon!

Attachments

• [UNSET].jpg
    [UNSET].jpg
    52 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Steve and Larry...yup I love me some rotten wood, but the ends of some of the logs I could stick a knife into...thought the whole log was that way but once I split it....:doh:I did save a couple split pieces for my dad to turn some pens with.

...How big is it? What's the finish? From what little I can see it looks cool!

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say...

It's about 10" tall and 4" round towards the bottom. Finish is my homebrew danish oil.

:rofl:

I agree, though. More pics, Jeff! :D Great-looking piece of wood. I really like the sapwood/heartwood combo. I'd like to see a better profile shot before I decide if I like the coved shape of the body. ;)

Thanks guys! I'll try and get some more pics tonight...I was going to go down to heartwood on the cove towards the bottom, but some spalting showed up so I stopped.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say...

:rofl:

I agree, though. More pics, Jeff! :D Great-looking piece of wood. I really like the sapwood/heartwood combo. I'd like to see a better profile shot before I decide if I like the coved shape of the body. ;)

I'm illierate but I did write for free information! Guess I need to cut down the 9 am drinking on Tuesdays!!:rofl::rofl:

Here are a couple more cell phone pics...can't find the point and shoot camera. :doh:But these at least show the curves a bit better.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 7
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the extra pics, Jeff. I do like the coved sides of the lower part. Since you asked for critiques or suggestions...

In the latest pics, the neck seems to have a very slight convex (bulged) profile. To my eye, the neck would look better if it was a bit thinner, with a slight concave to the profile. I'd prefer a very gentle - but even - curve from the top of the "bulb" to the bottom of the "lip". Does that make sense?