Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Projects

Lakewood , CA

First Projects

Hey All,

I'm new to woodworking and I thought I'd pop in to show off my first two projects. I recently acquired a used Delta table saw and the significant other decided we needed a chalk board. I did some reading and decided that I would float the chalk board in an oak frame with a coved bottom to hold the chalk and eraser. I made a couple mistakes which turned into good lessons but all in all I think it came out acceptable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130312_193929_046.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	74942

Chalk Board:

Name:	IMG_20130326_200734_793.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	74943

After receiving approval from the boss she sent me back to the garage to make picture frames. We went to Woodcraft and picked up a few goodies then off I went. Unfortunately I didn't think to photograph the process until it was near complete

Name:	IMG_20130407_175327_986.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	74945

Name:	IMG_20130407_175258_174.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	74946

Name:	IMG_20130407_110045_278.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	74947

I know these projects are super easy compared to a lot of the beautiful work posted here, but it's a start. Next I want to try something with drawers.

Thanks for looking,

Kansas City, Missouri
    First of all, Welcome to the family!

Great job on the blackboard and frames!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Welcome John. That's a far better saw than I started with, congrats on the find. Also, congrats on the first projects, they came out great. Every project teaches us something no matter how long we do this. That is one of the wonderful things about wood working for me, the constant challenges. Thanks for posting and we look forward to your company.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yorktown, Virginia
    Welcome John. Glad you found us. Those are some beautiful projects. Thanks for sharing.

Plainwell, Michigan
    Welcome John and for a first post, FANTASTIC chalk board and frames look great, right down to the splined mitres

Delton, Michigan
    welcome john, and before you start on some drawers do some looking around here and ask many questions they are villians in disguise but can be mastered
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

ABQ NM
    Very nice work, John. They may seem like simple projects, but sometimes the simple projects can be the hardest. From the looks of the photos, you did great. The joints look tight and the splines really set things off nicely.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Austin, Texas
    Welcome. Great Work - not at all like the usual first project. Congratulations on a fine job, especially the splined frames.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by John Zmuda View Post
    I know these projects are super easy compared to a lot of the beautiful work posted here, but it's a start. Next I want to try something with drawers.
    You might think so.. but some of us still don't get our miters that tight all (or even most) the time either So really darn good job out of the gate!

My only real suggestion is to look closer at the wood grain when initially laying things out, for instance on the last photo the grain on the side is wild and crazy while the grain on the top/bottom is fairly plain. If they were more similar it would imho blend better. Ditto the top of the blackboard vs the sides (I think the left side is effectively "rift sawn oak" and the top was probably "plain sawn oak", if you google image search those two terms you'll see what I'm looking at more I think).

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Nothing easy about frames John. Yours look great, nice job

Welcome !!!!!!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity