First Projects

John Zmuda

Hey All,

I'm new to woodworking and I thought I'd pop in to show off my first two projects. I recently acquired a used Delta table saw and the significant other decided we needed a chalk board. I did some reading and decided that I would float the chalk board in an oak frame with a coved bottom to hold the chalk and eraser. I made a couple mistakes which turned into good lessons but all in all I think it came out acceptable.

Saw:
IMG_20130312_193929_046.jpg

Chalk Board:
IMG_20130326_200734_793.jpg

After receiving approval from the boss she sent me back to the garage to make picture frames. We went to Woodcraft and picked up a few goodies then off I went. Unfortunately I didn't think to photograph the process until it was near complete

Frames:

IMG_20130407_175327_986.jpg

IMG_20130407_175258_174.jpg

IMG_20130407_110045_278.jpg

I know these projects are super easy compared to a lot of the beautiful work posted here, but it's a start. Next I want to try something with drawers.

Thanks for looking,

John

Welcome John. That's a far better saw than I started with, congrats on the find. Also, congrats on the first projects, they came out great. Every project teaches us something no matter how long we do this. That is one of the wonderful things about wood working for me, the constant challenges. Thanks for posting and we look forward to your company.

Very nice work, John. :thumb: They may seem like simple projects, but sometimes the simple projects can be the hardest. From the looks of the photos, you did great. The joints look tight and the splines really set things off nicely.

I know these projects are super easy compared to a lot of the beautiful work posted here, but it's a start. Next I want to try something with drawers.

You might think so.. but some of us still don't get our miters that tight all (or even most) the time either :rolleyes: :thumb: So really darn good job out of the gate!

My only real suggestion is to look closer at the wood grain when initially laying things out, for instance on the last photo the grain on the side is wild and crazy while the grain on the top/bottom is fairly plain. If they were more similar it would imho blend better. Ditto the top of the blackboard vs the sides (I think the left side is effectively "rift sawn oak" and the top was probably "plain sawn oak", if you google image search those two terms you'll see what I'm looking at more I think).

my first picture frame took 6 weeks. Good work and keep it up. I noticed the term, we went to wodcraft, and I liked it so I will give you a piece of advise. Build for her, get the projects, for a lack of a better term out of the shop and into the house where she can use then and show them off and you will have one of the most complete shops around and she , not you, she will always find you the money to buy you what you need.

Welcome aboard John. We have all kinds of people from kookie like me to serious and somber like _____________. Sorry I could not think of an example. I was going to put Vaughn McMillen there but you would have figured that spoof out in a hurry.

I like your first work. I assume that the pretty lady in the picture was your inspiration.

Enjoy,
JimB

Nope! You're not going to convince me you're new to woodworking & those are your first two projects. There's more to you than you let on.
Welcome aboard, you going to like it here - a great bunch of guys................................... well most of the times. :rofl:

Great work John and welcome to the gang! I particularly like the way you celebrated the splines on those picture frames. Nice eye!
Secondly a word of advice- what "we" see as mistakes are always intentional parts of the final design when all is said and done! :whistling: