Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Worksharp

New to me Worksharp

A while back on one of Jim B's threads we had a discussion about his worksharp. Another member offered theirs for sale to me and it arrived today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	label.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	74955

I have to say, he out did himself on the packaging, nicest box I've received in a while.

Name:	2013-04-09 20.08.24.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	74956

Came with a few extra plates and discs.

Name:	2013-04-09 20.11.48.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	74957

I finally got back around to getting the sharpening bench setup, so saved a place for it there.

Name:	2013-04-09 20.16.07.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	74958

Thanks Jim!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Faith, Hope & Charity

why the slots in the honing wheels darren? and that jim guy is good at making boxes for shipping, did yours have instructions to open or just destroy to get in?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    why the slots in the honing wheels darren? and that jim guy is good at making boxes for shipping, did yours have instructions to open or just destroy to get in?
    Larry,
    The slots are so that you can 'see through' the disc and see what you're sharpening.

As for the box, I was kinder to him than to you - - I put screws in the bottom of the box. For those that wonder what I'm talking about, I once sent Larry a box of 'goodies' in a wooden box that was carefully mitered at every joint, and then glued shut - no fasteners of any kind, and no clues how to open it. I think he used a sawzall on it.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 04-10-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    If you're talking about the arbor to the left, that is the Razor Sharp system, it's the buffing wheel. I think the slots are to help hold compound or something like that. The wheels aren't quite MDF, but more like a lighter fiberboard (almost compressed cardboard). It does a good job for flat things, but need to build an angle jig for it for consistency. After setting it up this weekend I ran my pocket knife across it. It went from barely being able to cut through a plastic bag, to a shaving quality edge.

I also picked up a cheap grinder this weekend at the local farm store as my old one had burnt up last fall, so the sharpening station is coming right along.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Nice addition to the sharpening station, Brent. And well done to Jim, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    ...I once sent Larry a box of 'goodies' in a wooden box that was carefully mitered at every joint, and then glued shut - no fasteners of any kind, and no clues how to open it. I think he used a sawzall on it.
    I still laugh when I think about that box.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice. I really need to clear off and dedicate a section of my workbench to a sharpening station.

I've got a bit of a sharpening jig addiction, and kind of need to put them out where I can use them...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Nice. I really need to clear off and dedicate a section of my workbench to a sharpening station.

I've got a bit of a sharpening jig addiction, and kind of need to put them out where I can use them...
    That was my thought as well, I just don't always use them if I have to take the extra time to go get them out. If it's working out I'll probably put together a mobile cart with everything on it rather than on the bench I'm using, but thought I would test it out on it first. I was looking for ideas via google images search and realized I still need to get the drill doctor put on the bench too.

I also ordered some leather lapidary discs that came in a couple of days back. I plan to have them stacked in the arbor for lapping carving gouges and such. The one they had in my carving class a few years back was similar and worked well for those non-flat surfaces.
    Darren

I put a couple of chisels and a plane blade through all the grits. Works great! Sharpest my plane blades and chisels have been in a long time. Didn't lap any of them yet, but sharp enough to shave the hairs off the arm without lapping.

I'll now have to figure out the proper way to setup a plane, but first time I've ever been able to make curlies.

Name:	2013-04-10 20.59.18.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	74973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-04-10 20.59.29.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	74974
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    If it's working out I'll probably put together a mobile cart with everything on it rather than on the bench I'm using, but thought I would test it out on it first. I was looking for ideas via google images search
    Very cool!

I love my worksharp. I was going to put mine on just a plank, then I thought of a cart. Then I said to myself, "How and when will I be using this thing?" So mine's on a very simple box, which includes a drawer underneath big enough to hold the extra disks and supplies, but the whole thing's small enough that it's easy to lift. When I need it, it comes down to my bench. When I'm done, it just goes back up on the shelf. Works out great.