the $1000 woodworking tool test

Hey Vaughn,

I do think its time to make those baby's a wee bit larger,

say dining or coffee table size, throw some legs on 'em and

make a mint.

Per

No list, but I would buy a new cordless drill first. Then head for flea markets, auctions houses and garage sales to stock up on basics. Could probably buy a bunch of things and still have a bulk of the thou left over. At the auctions, I'd get old lumber and make a bench. For that little money, almost everything would have to be used. I'd look for whatever I could get that worked and was (very) affordable. e.g. bandsaw, tablesaw, drill press, etc. Wouldn't be fancy, but I'd be able to make stuff.

Well, excpet for some hand held power tools the only "New" tools I've bought have been my Festool TS55 and my DeWalt 744 BT TS, everything else has been used and fixed up.

I'd get decent used hand tools, like others have said, you can get them on the cheap at yard sales etc. and go from there.

Cheers!

What tools you get if limited, I think, depends on the level of expertise of the buyer.

If I was very experianced I think I would buy lots of hand tools; saws, planes, chisels, scrapers, etc.

If not very experianced I would buy more motor powered tools; power planer, router, jigsaws, table saws, jointer(bench top) etc.

What tools you get if limited, I think, depends on the level of expertise of the buyer.

If I was very experianced I think I would buy lots of hand tools; saws, planes, chisels, scrapers, etc.

If not very experianced I would buy more motor powered tools; power planer, router, jigsaws, table saws, jointer(bench top) etc.

As I am not particularly versed in hand tool usage, I would lean more toward the power tool end as Julio has suggested.

My list would include:
-Corded circular saw with rip guide
-Corded jig saw
-Random Orbit Sander & assortment of sandpaper
-Router with fixed & plunge bases with an edge guide
-small assorment of basic router bits
-bench top drill press, drill bits & small fostner set
-cordless drill/driver
-plate joiner, biscuits, & glue
-kreg Rocket pocket hole jig & screws
-assortment of used clamps
-speed square
-tape measue
-2 or 3 differnt sized chisels & a mallet

I would keep an eye on the craigslist and on several internet sites to get the best prices possible.