Tool box I ran across today

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I had some errands to run in our old neighborhood today. I came across this in one of the new antiques stores on the town square and the owner was kind enough to allow me to snap some pics.

2013-04-13 12.07.24.jpg2013-04-13 12.07.43.jpg

Under the front storage compartment, there was a saw till.
2013-04-13 12.07.54.jpg

The back compartments went 4 layers deep, there was also a panel that pulled out for additional storage in the bottom.
2013-04-13 12.08.23.jpg

So, is it a bargin?
2013-04-13 12.08.30.jpg

Carol is right on...I sure couldn't build and sell a toolbox like that for $1500. (Assuming I could actually build one in the first place.) ;)

That rustic beat up exterior sure does not suggest the beautiful interior. Imagine the value of such a box with the tools of the craftsman who built it still inside. Beautiful work!

It's not uncommon to see that type of exterior with the detail of the inside. For the woodworker/cabinetmaker going back several hundred years, his tools and tool box could have traveled with him to job sites, by cart, or horse/animal drawn wagons. So, there was no need to put an effort into a fancy looking box. Likewise, for the craftsman that worked at a dedicated shop, he would carry his box to the facility, or it may be placed at his workbench during the term of employment. For these scenarios, it's thought that the box should look plain to deter theft.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif