Making a Duplicator For Spindles or Flutes?

Mike Turner

Have any of you ever made a duplicator? I would like to buy one but thought I would throw this idea out there before even thinking about buying one. I make flutes which are 25" to 30" long and wondered if one could make a duplicator with out too much problems....Any ideas appreciated !!!

just some thoughts

Have any of you ever made a duplicator? I would like to buy one but thought I would throw this idea out there before even thinking about buying one. I make flutes which are 25" to 30" long and wondered if one could make a duplicator with out too much problems....Any ideas appreciated !!!

Mike,

I own a couple duplicators but haven't made one. However until you get into the high dollar ones I think you can build far cheaper and better than you can buy. The main thing you need is a low speed motor or feed. Most people never use that rotisserie that comes with a barbecue pit, nice 120 volt low speed motor. Decide what size follower you need and spring load the "carriage" and you are most of the way home. Might need more gear reduction on the motor but wooden pulleys and any type of belt works fine at these speeds and loads.

Haven't tried to salvage one but I have noticed that the motor on my microwave turntable turns at six RPM, I'll have to look at the next dead one I find, just threw one away about six months ago.

I just had a thought, contact Taig. I don't know how much of the stuff is proprietary stuff that he makes for other people but his bed ways and the carriage that he builds for cue lathes sold by someone else makes a fantastic duplicator. I was going to sell my cue lathe but have decided to keep it just for finials and turning handles with the duplicator feature, known as a taper attachment but this one follows any form the follower can track. The folks at Taig are good people and if you tell them what you are trying to do they might have some suggestions.

Just for the record, I am not affiliated with Taig in any way other than have bought toys from them a handful of times and received phone help from them dealing with problems not of their making.

Hu