Spalted Maple Bowl

Jeff Bower

I found a hunk of maple on the bottom of a wood pile last week and got some time yesterday morning to turn half of it. It's about 6" in diameter and 4" tall. Finish is just some past wax since I was out of my home brew danish oil. The interior's bottom is almost flat which I'm not sure I like now. :dunno: Sorry once again for the bad cell phone pics...I really need to find my camera because I'm gonna have quite a few more bowls ready for pics int he next few weeks...pretty sure the daughter moved it to her room.

I also included a sneak pic of what my Sunday afternoon involved. I'm helping out to promote an arts/craft show that starts next month and then occurs a couple more times during the summer and fall. A photographer/videographer spent about 2hrs in the shop and captured me turning a small walnut bowl and some shots of my other work as well. She was super nice, made me feel like I knew what I was doing :huh:and didn't complain to much about her equipment getting kinda dusty. I gave her a little spinning top I turned last week as a thanks. I hope to have a copy of the video the first week of May. :D

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 36
Pretty wood, Jeff. :thumb: To be honest though, I've seen you turn better forms (IMO). The angular sides and flat bottom don't really float my boat.

I forgot to mention congrats on the video shoot. That's very cool. :camera: You should put it up on YouTube when you get it. :thumb:

Pretty wood, Jeff. :thumb: To be honest though, I've seen you turn better forms (IMO). The angular sides and flat bottom don't really float my boat.

I have to agree with you Vaughn...it doesn't do it for me either. Watch it sell fast though! :rolleyes: Gotta try new things once in awhile...back to the drawing board!

I forgot to mention congrats on the video shoot. That's very cool. :camera: You should put it up on YouTube when you get it. :thumb:

Thanks Vaughn, the complete video will include a well known (locally anyway) mixed media artist and at least one other maybe two other artists. It will be used to promote 4 shows this year on the web via all the social network sites/apps. Its called Market Day. I think she said she will send me just my part seperately which I can do whatever I want. I plan on setting up shop on a street corner with dvd copies asap! :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you Vaughn...it doesn't do it for me either. Watch it sell fast though! :rolleyes: Gotta try new things once in awhile...back to the drawing board!

Roger that. ;) You'll never know what forms you don't like until you turn a few of them, huh? :D

...I plan on setting up shop on a street corner with dvd copies asap! :rolleyes:

You could probably find a boarded-up Blockbuster Video store that you can rent for cheap. :yes:

Just an update with a link to the video that promotes the show(s) I'm part of this summer/fall. It includes 3 or 4 other artist that will be part of the show...It's sped up quite a bit...but I appear about the 20 sec mark. It's true that the camera adds a few pounds too...I should have sucked in my gut a bit! The people that do this show are really promoting it well in all media too. I'll be part of an article in the local "what's happening this week" known as The Juice in the the local paper I think next week and they will do a couple "in the studio" spots on all 3 local stations on different days next week as well. Looking forward to see the turnout at the show! Enjoy!