FYI: The Scumbags are already showing up

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly, but not surprisingly, the scammers and slimeballs of this world are already trying to capitalize on the Boston bombing earlier this week. I got my first two (of what will surely be many) email messages today with a link to see "video of the Boston Marathon explosion". Of course I didn't click on the links (both of which went to somewhere in Ukraine), but it reminded me that I should probably pass along a warning to the gang here.

In times like this, beware of email messages or browser pop-up messages offering things like "unseen video" or "amazing footage". For a while here, it'll be very likely that these will be attempts to load viruses or other malware on your computer. These messages can come from names you don't recognize, but they can also appear to come from your friends if the friend's computer has already been compromised. Also watch out for requests for donations to help the victims (or heroes or hospitals or whatever). Here again, these are most often scams to get your money. If you feel like donating to help, go directly to the charity's site...don't go there via some link you got in an email message.

Be careful out there. ;)

A good public service message. I cannot emphasize enough to people that the internet is not an amusement park . . . it is a mine field. Play carefully.

In the time since I posted this yesterday, I've seen two more of these "Boston Bombing" email messages (both sent to the FW Webmaster), and just now got one for the Texas fertilizer plant explosion. They waste no time, those dirt-sucking slimeballs. :rolleyes: