Sketchup Silly Behaviour....

Art Mulder

This seems so stupid, I have to believe I have either overlooked something or I'm doing something wrong...

(Free Sketchup 8.0.16845 on a Mac -- current version)

If I open an existing sketchup file, and work on it, and then decide to save it under a different name, I click "File -> SaveAs" then BY DEFAULT Sketchup will NOT offer me the current directory. No, rather it offers to save the file in a DIFFERENT directory.

And I have not yet figured out the pattern for WHERE it decides to suggest I stick that file.

This drives me NUTS. Regularly I will save a file quickly, and then come back later and find that it is NOT where I thought it was, but in some other folder on my mac.

Which version of OSX?

I just did some testing on my Mac running 10.8 and I don't see that behavior. On 10.6.8 I do remember that the Save In location would vary. If I had imported anything from a different folder into SketchUp, it seemed that would be the destination folder for the Save operation. I found that to be rather annoying. On the PC you can specify the folder in which models get saved but Save As will take you to the folder in which the original was saved.

In SU, go to Window, Preferences, Files . . . if your system is ignoring these settings, I don't think it is the application . . . .

Capture.JPG

:D

It's alright, Glenn. Going back and forth between them, I can't decide which I like better. There are some cool things about the Mac OS that I would like to see in Windows and vice versa. I've been using XP and Mac 10.6.8 and just recently had a new computer built that is running Win 7 pro 64bit and I had to upgrade my MacBook pro to 10.8. Different critters in some ways that are important to me. Probably great for folks like my mother-in-law.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a good deal on a new PC that is excellent for SketchUp and rendering (it'll do anything else you want to do on a computer, too.) drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the folks who built my new machine. I was going to build my own again but after checking out the prices, this turned out to be a better deal and it comes with a one year warranty.

Thanks, Dave. I now have a reason to update my Mac.

You're welcome. At least with the Mac OS upgrade you don't end up wiping the hard drive. I made the leap one day at work while I was working on a ventilator and it went very smoothly. I started the upgrade and then left it to do a PM and when I got back, it was finished.

Which version of OSX?

I just did some testing on my Mac running 10.8 and I don't see that behavior. On 10.6.8 I do remember that the Save In location would vary. If I had imported anything from a different folder into SketchUp, it seemed that would be the destination folder for the Save operation. I found that to be rather annoying. On the PC you can specify the folder in which models get saved but Save As will take you to the folder in which the original was saved.

10.6.8 ...

Just verified it. Opened a *skp file, and ran "File -> Save-As" and it wants to put the new file in a DIFFERENT folder.

However, I also just noticed the "File-> Save-A-Copy-As" item... I've never noticed that, is it new? This option offered to put it in the same folder.
That's better.

Save a copy as... has been around for awhile. At least from V7. The main reason for that option is that it'll let you save a SketchUp file to a previous version. That's useful when you have to send the SKP to someone with an older version of SketchUp.