What is it, wood!!

larry merlau

well we all have had several different types of wood that we have worked with or seen in time as wood workers and some of us have had a lot exposure to many types in all stages of the process. even as it be some just dont seem to understand the different characteristics and are unable to identify some of thew more prevalent types out there.. so this is a wood 101 course for those who seem to have missed the first class.. so tell me folks what are these two samples of wood pictured and perhaps the person that seemed to miss the class can get caught up with some tutoring:)

what is it wood.jpg

yup chuck he sure did!!!! he got some wood from someone to do some prep work on and was telling me how nice some of this cherry was. so he took me down to show me and i said where is the cherry? he said its right here.. i said that walnut all day long!!! and to think he has handled many bf of each over here in all stages and then still couldnt identify what he had.. even his wife thought he was wrong but didnt say anything,, she is a polite and caring lady for sure.. i sure hope that who ever gets his box understands that the word board means wood to some folks:) CARD board:)

Hey card board is made from wood.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: And now I pose your gonna tell me I can't use card board for the box I made for the swap.:doh:

the one on the left definitely looks like cherry but the one on the right looks more like soft maple than walnut. although it could be the way the light is catching

I can tell that's spalted zebrawood and curly bubinga from all the way over here. You're not fooling anyone with your "domestic hardwood" ruse, Mr. Ambassador. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure it was just a communication break-down...What Tom was probably trying to say was, that the walnut was 'cherry', as in 'primo', 'the cat's meow' 'top notch' etc. :thumb:

side note: if Tom draws my name, I'll be expecting a little sumtin sumtin inside of it :D:rofl: