A Day With Trent Bosch

Jeff Bower

This past Saturday the Des Moines Woodturners group had Trent Bosch give a all day demo. I almost didn't go, but boy am I glad I did along with my dad. He is a great teacher, very funny and a nice guy!

He turned his "Vessel of Illusion" first. I always wondered how he got the vessel inside another vessel...and it really is pretty easy to do although there would be a learning curve. He first turns a hollow form with 2 lips (pic 1). He then carves the "petals" using air tools. (pic 2) Then he turns a very thin insert out of a contrasting wood and drops it into boiling water until it drops to the bottom of the pan. He then quickly bends the insert and gets it into the hollow form. Gets the insert where he wants it, blows a balloon up inside the vessell to hold the insert in place and form itself to the interior of the hollow form. (pic 3) After it all drys, he glues it in place with epoxy.

Then he turned and carved a platter (pic4/5) , and also turned a large bowl I didn't get any pics of that he used to show several ways he embelishes his work (carving, painting, adding patina, etc.) All in all a great day to spend with my dad and other fellow woodturners. :D I would highly recommend attending a demo or class with Trent. He also of course makes lots of tools in his machine shop and sells videos as well. If you don't know who Trent is and you're so inclined, check out his website.

Attachments

• [UNSET]CAANL78C.jpg
    [UNSET]CAANL78C.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 35
  • [UNSET]CA9YK6AU.jpg
    [UNSET]CA9YK6AU.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 36
  • [UNSET]CAC6CE04.jpg
    [UNSET]CAC6CE04.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 37
  • [UNSET]CAYD0CO9.jpg
    [UNSET]CAYD0CO9.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 36
  • [UNSET]CAAUAJE8.jpg
    [UNSET]CAAUAJE8.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 33
  • [UNSET]CAM168OS.jpg
    [UNSET]CAM168OS.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 39
Ted, he did a day long hands on yesterday and today as well, but I couldn't had to much else going on so I couldn't make either...wish I had.