What is it?

Here it is...UPS wasn't kind to it, got squashed from the top a little the back side, but it's not bad enough to affect it's function.
2013-04-23 20.25.06.jpg

Comes with the installation hardware and three replacement bags.
2013-04-23 20.24.18.jpg

I forewent the installation hardware as I'll need to remove the thien baffle to install it, so I went the bungee route for now, may do the OEM hardware down the road.
2013-04-23 20.30.37.jpg

A couple of crisscrossed wire ties to keep them in place.
2013-04-23 20.30.52.jpg

Feel like I'm breathing easier already. ;)

Well done Darren, now my million dollar question......when Jason reported on the performance of his he mentioned the sucking power at the end of a run being strong enough to grip his arm but his was the Jet unit.....we all know the HF is a copy but is it the same in performance. ? I am wondering about fan blade and efficiency now that you have the whole thing modified compared to the Jet unit. My bet is little difference and when you factor in price probably huge benefit. :dunno:

Boy was I off, I need to pay more attention :rofl:

I like the Wynn bags a lot better than the HF bag as well (tougher and fits better), its pretty cool that they throw those in. The Wynn folks are nice people.

Well done Darren, now my million dollar question......when Jason reported on the performance of his he mentioned the sucking power at the end of a run being strong enough to grip his arm but his was the Jet unit.....we all know the HF is a copy but is it the same in performance. ? I am wondering about fan blade and efficiency now that you have the whole thing modified compared to the Jet unit. My bet is little difference and when you factor in price probably huge benefit. :dunno:

I didn't get it hooked up to any tools tonight to compare. The HF does have a smaller impeller (10") than the Jet, so I suspect his would out suck (in a good way) the HF. For the price of the HF and filter, I've got about $300 in mine now. Even if the cfm didn't increase, as long as the air is cleaner I'll be happy.

btw...I don't plan to do anymore mods to mine, but I've heard of some folks going with a rikon impleller for $60 (sold out) which fits and is 12" to add some cfm. Have also heard of them removing the face plate off the squirrel cage and making their own with a 6" intake to allow connection to more readily available duct work.

Boy was I off, I need to pay more attention :rofl:

I like the Wynn bags a lot better than the HF bag as well (tougher and fits better), its pretty cool that they throw those in. The Wynn folks are nice people.

Not sure they threw in the bags, was part of the filter package, but they are great folks to deal with. They also didn't charge my card until the delivery confirmation showed as delivered.

Not sure they threw in the bags, was part of the filter package, but they are great folks to deal with...

Yeah, the first three bags are part of the filter package. A single bag should last for multiple fillings. (I do recommend wearing a dust mask emptying a full bag into the trash bin, though.) They also sell the bags in packs of ten for a pretty reasonable rate. I was told by Bill Wynn the last time I ordered a pack of bags that they hire developmentally disabled people to package the replacement bags. (Yes, the boss was answering the phones.) I though both of those factoids were cool.

Very nice. I should think about this...

Stop thinking about it and just do it. You won't regret it. ;)

Rob asked about the sucking power after the filter addition. I didn't really use my DC until I got the filter, so I don't have a good comparison, but I do know that an empty Coke can makes a heck of a racket when it hits the impeller. (I've cut out the crosshairs at the inlet on mine.) It'll suck a Coke can through 20' of flex hose faster than I can press the remote Off switch hanging on my belt loop. :D

There is a point here that i think is worth taking note of going back to Jasons setup. And more so if you a tinkerer and do more than woodworking in your shop and even more so if you use wood that has been used before.

My concern about a dust collector has always been a fire. The idea that you build your great shop kit it out over time with hours and hours of work to make shop fixtures furniture etc and then have it burn down in a fire due to dust collector.

So that lower collector plastic bag is way more susceptible to melting open and getting a bigger fire going in the event a smoldering fire should get going in the collector bag.

Now when i looked at the Cyclones the issue of how this kind of fire is somewhat contained to what extent i dont know but my logic says for sure a bit longer than a plastic bag.

The other thing i think of when i review what Jason has done that has more merit than apparent initially is the idea of separate storage area. Regardless of the noise separation which is a bonus to me, one could put a smoke detector in that enclosure and wire it to an alarm or as i did previously directly to the home hardwired circuit.

This had two bonuses for me in the past. If something went wrong in the house which believe it or not happened more than in my shop, (wife forgetting garlic bread in oven) then i would hear it in the shop as it would trigger the shop smoke detector. But the visa versa was what i did it for.

I know we all have insurance or should have but i am a funny kind of guy when it comes to my possessions. even if they pay me out double what the worth new its not the same to me. So i am the insurance companies best friend because i take extra ordinary steps to make sure total loss aint going to occur.

Jason also had the metal garbage can separator which i guess would at least contain a smoldering fire it would still have air to burn but i wonder how it would turn out once a load of smoke gets going in the bin. Dunno i aint gonna call something like that maybe some fireman here if we have any could let us know.

I just wonder if there is any merit in fashioning (my dads expression for making something that's got to fit) a metal lower collector can for the harbor freight unit to add some of that kind of safety to the collector bin. My thoughts are if guys can sheet metal bash and produce a cyclone cone then a bin to fit a fixed diameter well heck that should be an easy development no? Bit of galvanized sheet and solder could do it. Its the part where it seals that i cannot get my mind around.

I have a wynn on my delta, and when I clean it out nicely, the suction will almost take my arm off compared to when the filter is dirty and I hardly feel any suction.
Keep it clean and your lungs will thank you.