Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Kick Switch

Tablesaw Kickswitch

This is another one of those things I've wanted to add for many years and finally took time to do it. Nothing fancy. Just a few pieces of scrap 1/2" plywood. The vertical pieces from the hinges are a single layer; the horizontal piece is two layers.

I removed the fence rail so I could work from the top side of both it and the steel angle. I drilled through the steel angle at the hinge positions, then drilled and tapped the fence rail for 1/4-20 hex bolts. After loosely re-installing the rail, I mounted the hinges and tightened all bolts.

The opening at the ON switch allows for easy access. I added a block of plywood to the back of the left panel to engage the STOP switch.

Oh, yeah -- it's RED! I sprayed a few coats of shellac -- about 1.5lb cut -- to seal the plywood. I had a little of the mix left so I grabbed the TransTint Red dye and went for it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KickSw_01.jpg   KickSw_02.jpg  
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 10-07-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Bill that is one of those things I plan on doing someday. I think about it each time I fumble trying to shut it off! You made a nice addition to your saw. Do you think you will be able to find it???? Thanks for sharing it.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 10-07-2009 at 02:35 PM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

THAT is one big honken off switch!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Wow, that IS big , and a great idea. I bought an aftermarket switch from ebay for my delta. not nearly as big of a paddle, but in one of the top upgrades I've done to my TS.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    THAT is one big honken off switch!

Yep, that's one way to put it! I thought about adding a single paddle at the switch so I could reach over with my foot and tap it. But, I occasionally cut wide panels or otherwise find myself farther from the switch than I can comfortably reach when near the maximum position of my 52" fence. With this "thing", all it takes is a toe tap from any position.
    Bill Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    Yep, that's one way to put it! .......With this "thing", all it takes is a toe tap from any position.
    That's one toe tappin table saw! Nice addition Bill.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Bill I think you have thought this through well. I initially also thought wow thats a huge switch. Then i got to thinking trouble with the switches is they are all mounted on what i consider to be the other side of the cut line. If you need to reach across in anyway to get to it one stands the chance of being in the kickback line.

With your switch you dont have to move regardless of where you set yourself to saw.

Kudos to you.
    cheers

Table Saw Kick Switch

In October, 2009, I posted this thread showing a large (understatement) kick switch I added to my table saw. It satisfies both a safety and accessibility factor.
    Bill Arnold

Hi,
    Just to give "Do it yourself" guys something else to consider---Here are switches I made. Do NOT get me wrong I think Bill's switch is super---And I LOVE the red.

I cut my panels with a circle saw on the driveway so wrestling big sheets is not a Jim problem. Well actually it is, that is why I use the circle saw. It is pretty bad when the sheet of ply weighs almost as much as I do; I think MDF weighs more.

One pic is the 17" BS, one is the 14" BS and one the lathe.

I can reach the lathe kick switches from anyplace that I would normally use the machines except when ripping a long board. The lathe switch is really a hand or knee switch and runs most of the length of the lathe. The lathe and 14" BS switches trip very easily. The Griz BS is a commercial unit that takes a small sledge hammer to turn on or off. It takes a significant push to turn the machine on. However, with the paddle leverage, a light push with hand or foot turns it off and that is the important operation.

I think the pics will explain what I have done and perhaps help someone else. Dang it. I sure could use some red shellac or lacquer.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knee switches 006.jpg   Knee switches 001.jpg   Knee switches 002.jpg   Knee switches 003.jpg   Knee switches 004.jpg  

Knee switches 005.jpg  
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 04-26-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: add a couple words for clarification
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Hi,

I added some knee/kick switch pics to your thread on the URL.
    I really like what you did. If I cut large sheets, I would copy it in an instant.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER