Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One stupid mistake...

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

One stupid mistake...

I was cutting a mortise, something I haven't done very often, and was cleaning up the top of the mortise to give myself lines to cut on, when the chisel slipped and moved violently in the direction I was pushing it. This would have been OK, except that I had stupidly put my left had in front of th chisel, and it made a deep gash in the end joint of my left index finger. I went back to the house immediatey and ran some water on it to see how bad the damage was. It was obvious that I would need stitches, so I called out to my wife, who brought me a towel, helped get the dogs in, and drove me to the hospital.

After waiting the required hour to get into the treatment area and for the death panel to decide I was worth treating I got eight stitches and a dressing, and was advised that it would take a week for the stitches to come out, two weeks to stop hurting and up to seven weeks to be fully healed. The doc says I cut the artery and the nerve to the finger tip, and will probably be numb on one side of my fingertip. Could be worse.

My record is intact still - I have only ever hurt myself on hand tools, never on a power tool. I got blood on the project, but only on the back.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Amherst, New Hampshire

I've never needed stitches from woodworking (yet) but I do leave red spots on almost every thing I build
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Santa Claus, In
    I drew blood yesterday too. I bumped a router bit in the table.

Take care of that wound, ain't this hobby great?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

You will eventually get most of the feeling back in that fingertip though it might take a year or more. The nerve will grow down from the cut end and find its way to the end of the finger. Amazing if you stop to think about it...

If you do get the stitches out in seven days be very careful to avoid aggressively bending that fingertip for a few weeks...hate to have the thing split open.

Good luck.

Reno NV
    A good reminder for us all. Here's hoping you heal up quicker than they say!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Glad it wasn't more seriious... I recently had my chisels sharpened and knowing how prone I am to getting nicked, I take special precaution any time I grab a chisel for anything.

It's been over a year, but right after I got my woodcut bowl coring device, I cored a large bowl and the first time I put the tool inside to clean up, it slipped and the knuckle of my left hand hit the sharp edge of the bowl... nicked it almost to the bone. I didn't go for stitches, but probably should have... if the weather is just right I get a reminder of the cut... wood will cut you.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Hope it heals up quickly. I have two word's I use a lot in my self talk "WHAT IF" when I don't use them I sometimes get hurt.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    I had not thought about it until now; my dad lectured me far more about dangers of chisels than knifes.

I hope you heal rapidly and thouroughly!

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

Independence, Kentucky
    Take care of that injury Rodger, happens quick doesn't it. Heal quickly.

Thomasville, GA
    Take care of that wound, Roger. We ain't as tough as we think at times! DAMHIKT
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.