More Bits and Pieces Used (Updated with another idea 8/15)

Jeff Bower

I have a show coming up on the 18th and decided to go the scrap bin...ok bins :rolleyes: and make some more necklaces. To add to those I made some earings and key rings as well. Hopefully with these items I can attract some more people to the booth to purchase a few things...:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 87
  • [UNSET].jpg
    [UNSET].jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 85
  • [UNSET]CA5FIWAU.jpg
    [UNSET]CA5FIWAU.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
That's using your noodle, great ideas Jeff and they came out looking pretty good as well!

I thought it was interesting on the keychains you left the saw marks on a few. I tend to perhaps "over polish" some items when they might actually look better with a slightly "rougher" appearance, that is with some cut marks or carving marks left on them which changes the texture some. I suppose this is a somewhat awkward way of saying I liked the look of the ones with the saw marks left in place :D

Thanks guys, Ryan those walnut key rings were from a scrap piece ripped from from rough sawn walnut I found at a garage sale. I sanded one smooth, but then thought the rough sawn look would be better. I just now notice that my daughter finger photobombed my pic! :doh:

youre pretty smart jeff.

making small impulse items like that, things people can touch and look at up close, people like to touch things, and small priced impulse items can break the ice.

I always told my staff, if I had 400 linear feet of counter space, Id fill it up with impulse items and not have to worry about other sales.

good luck, sell out quickly.

The show went well on Saturday. It went from 8-1pm and almost 2000 people came thru. The earrings were a big hit along with some natural edge cutting boards I had. Sold 4 smaller bowls too. The wife and daughter spent almost 1/3 of what I made on things for themselves at the show:huh:, pillows made from t-shirts, jewelry and of course some food. I know now that I need to get some more natural edge boards and some bigger bowls ready for the next show in Aug. I also got asked to set up in a booth at one of the larger local farmer's markets a couple times this summer the first being on the 30th...was a good weekend! :)

Thanks guys! :thumb:

anudder ditto jeff:) good use of our resources.. just make the daughter and wife support there own habits:)

Well the wife supports my habits pretty well and the kid saw a batman pillow and she haggled with the maker and got $2 off so I couldn't say no. :D

More Scrap Ideas again

At the last 2 shows I've done this summer I didn't sell any bowls. In fact nothing turned at all. I have sold a few earrings and necklaces and cutting boards, but I think I've found something that many people like. Succulent pots made from basically firewood and other scrap wood. Besides my time about 10 minutes each and the $1 for the plant, these are pure profit. I sold out of the ones in the first pic at my last show and the second pic show the ones I made for wwwgoodsmiths.com's farmer's market booth tonight. The first ones were just an old fence post I grabbed from my friends farm. The second pic has a couple more from the post, some small walnut logs, some scrap cedar I turned round/drilled and a hunk of mahogany I've had laying around for about 10yrs. These will be getting even cheaper for me to make soon as I took some of the leaves from the plants brushed on some rooting stuff and planted them. They should be ready for an indoor show I'm doing on black friday in November.

Attachments

• [UNSET].jpg
    [UNSET].jpg
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20130814_180903_.jpg
    IMG_20130814_180903_.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: