Thread: New grinder

New grinder

I broke my old grinder and now on the hunt for new one.

I want a grinder for 8 x 1 inch wheels. Perferably slow speed for wolverine system.

Pickings are slim in Canada. I can get a Delta variable speed but have to buy new wheels. That bring the cost up to close to $300.

Been referred to scheppach

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SCH...308?Pid=search

Can anyone give a review on this?

Thanks

Don

PS: I am going to Michigan next month.

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McFarland View Post
    I broke my old grinder and now on the hunt for new one.

I want a grinder for 8 x 1 inch wheels. Perferably slow speed for wolverine system.

Pickings are slim in Canada. I can get a Delta variable speed but have to buy new wheels. That bring the cost up to close to $300.

Been referred to scheppach

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SCH...308?Pid=search

Can anyone give a review on this?

Thanks

Don

PS: I am going to Michigan next month.
    A warning to all; No reviews for him until he posts his location!! If he says he's from Brooklin ON Canada, treat him with your usual kindness, he's my good friend, as well as a great chauffeur for yours truly!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Changed as per your request. Everywhere else I am Don in Brooklin ON.

Welcome aboard Don! Any friend of Macks is welcome around here!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Well, I was going to suggest the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, but I didn't see it in a quick check of their website. Did they stop selling it, or are they just out of stock and not showing it on the site?

I haven't used any, but it's my understanding is that Sheppach makes decent mid-range tools. The price Grainger shows looks pretty reasonable.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The Cadillac of grinders are the Baldor line. Very expensive but run like a Swiss watch. I have one and it is the smoothest and quietest grinder I have ever seen. Expect to pay over $700 for an 8 inch grinder but you'll never need another one. I bought mine used and paid $400.

Doug Thompson of Thompson Tools fame uses Dayton grinders and he says they serve him very well. I have no experience with them but if Doug says they are good equipment, they are good equipment. Expect to pay somewhere in the $300 range for an 8" machine. I don't know if Dayton makes a slow speed (1725 RPM) model.

I have looked at Palmgren grinders on the web and through the Sears catalog but I don't know anyone who has bought one. An 8" model can be bought for around $200.

You will have to purchase better grinding wheels to replace the gray wheels that come with most models.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Well, I was going to suggest the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, but I didn't see it in a quick check of their website. Did they stop selling it, or are they just out of stock and not showing it on the site?

I haven't used any, but it's my understanding is that Sheppach makes decent mid-range tools. The price Grainger shows looks pretty reasonable.
    I got an email flyer for Craft supply and I think also Woodcraft with the Sheppach listed on it seems like $109 I think
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    I got an email flyer for Craft supply and I think also Woodcraft with the Sheppach listed on it seems like $109 I think
    The one at Craftsupply was the first referal and $109 with $10 S/H. For and extra couple of bucks I would rather pick up at Graingers and test and so I can reutrun if there is any vibration or problems.

The grinder at Woodcraft has been discontinued. I was in contact with Woodcraft and they say have had quality issues so are looking for a new supplier.

The president of my woodworking club has the Woodcraft and is please with it once he added the oneway balancing kit.

Due to the price and the spec, I wondered if these are the same manufacturer and therefore for the request for reviews.

Thanks ,

Don