My Amateur Shop - Under Development

Al Launier

Sorry for all the pictures. Unfortunately, there is much overlapping & duplicity in these pictures, but it's tedious to sort them out for individual relevance. No descriptions, as you folks know what you're looking at. I'm not into serious wood working, as you folks are, and there is much left to do, mostly to develop some good wood working skills. Wanted to post these before surgery Monday. Hopefully I don't bore you all to sleep.

My latest addition is the Ridgid TS3650 that I bought from Tony Maio. He treated me very well, not only with a TS that is in like new condition, but also with the "extras" he included in the deal: (5) inserts, (2) carbide blades, crosscut sled, miter gage board, Pals Kit, & more. The saw, when assembled, retained its alignment. Thanks Tony!
More to follow.

Attachments

• P5040001.jpg
    P5040001.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 320
  • P5040004.jpg
    P5040004.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 315
  • P5040006.jpg
    P5040006.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 307
  • P5040007.jpg
    P5040007.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 293
  • P5040008.jpg
    P5040008.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 345
  • P5040012.jpg
    P5040012.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
More to go:

Attachments

• P5040009.jpg
    P5040009.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 158
  • P5040013.jpg
    P5040013.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 153
  • P5040015.jpg
    P5040015.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 157
  • P50400017.jpg
    P50400017.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 149
  • P50400019.jpg
    P50400019.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 149
  • P50400018.jpg
    P50400018.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 152
  • P50400021.jpg
    P50400021.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 148
  • P50400023.jpg
    P50400023.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P50400024.jpg
    P50400024.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 142
It's a collection of miscellaneous gear in one location for varied interests, some of which aren't shown: fishing gear & fly tying; archery range (10 yds); weight lifting (seldom use- could sell for space); filing cabinets & safes; storage shelves, storage cabinets. It's tight, but maybe I sell of some of what I don't use??? One thing that has to be upgraded is the router table. Right now it's Glenn's old Craftsman router bolted to a Workmate table which serves the rough work that I do. When I improve my skills I'll hopefully be using a higher level setup.

Attachments

• P5040005.jpg
    P5040005.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 97
  • P5040010.jpg
    P5040010.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 96
  • P50400020.jpg
    P50400020.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 92
  • P50400022.jpg
    P50400022.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 95
  • P50400025.jpg
    P50400025.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
That's a fine-looking shop/play room, Al. Looks like you've got the major tool groups covered (well, except for a lathe). :D I'm envious of your shop sink, too. :thumb:

Great digs Al. As Vaughn points out, a sink is a great advantage. The absence of a lathe just shows good judgement :D. Seriously though, it does look like you have all the major food groups covered. You could hone down the workout gear if you wanted but, I would keep some basic stuff around. When I slack off on my workouts I notice a lot more aches and pains after a long weekend in the shop. Stay nimble and have fun.

Thanks for the kind words Guys.

I'm hoping the "art work" didn't offend anyone. I didn't even think of them when I took the pictures. These were purchased with the consent of my wife shortly after we were married, almost 44 years ago, & have been with us in (5) homes since. They just seem to hang around. ;) Frankly, I don't even notice them anymore. They just take up wall space & could come down if I need to expand the shelving.

Darren, that is an archery target set up for 10 yds diagonally across the shop. I haven't used it of late, but when I do it allows me to keep the archery "eye" during winter months. The shop "feels" smaller than it looks. It's a good thing I have some of these tools on casters. More casters to be installed.

Jim, the saw is like new. Tony took great care of the saw when he had it & took good care of me when he sold it to me.

Vaughn, I'm not sure if I'll get into turning as that is an art form unto itself & although I think I would enjoy it at the hobby level, I'll leave to you masters. Plus it makes for a lot of shavings, more to clean up & something JoAnn wouldn't appreciate.
The shop sink is extremely handy, as is the stairway access directly to the garage. Both give me a quick & convenient access from outside to get to the sink & shop without having to go through the house.

Unfortunately, There are no windows for ventilation & I have to use a multi-fan setup to try to draw the airborne dust from the shop up around a flight of stairs out to the garage/outdoors. Someday I hope to get a better air filtration system in the shop that I can hang overhead from the ceiling joists. Tony showed me the Jet filter system he has in his shop & when JoAnn saw it she immediately said that if I make her another bird house, she would get me a filtering system. DONE!!! I may just make up several, store them, & use them when I need to buy something. :rofl: Also, I'm hoping to get a better dust collection system that I can perhaps install in the garage & run the duct work through the wall down into the shop. The run shouldn't be prohibitively long.

As I get older, I'm thinking woodworking would be a great hobby to keep me occupied during the long winter months. It's fun to pull a plan together, even if it takes time.

Last edited:
Very nice shop, I'd love to have that much room. If I'd stay out of my shop and work on finishing my basement so we can sell and move, I'm promised a bigger shop..... I know, Honey, just as soon as I finish the organ..

I like your idea of covering the table tops on your machines. I have tried tarps, but they are a hassle. If I don't cover them or keep the doors to my shop closed, I will have rusty cat foot prints on the table tops.

Last edited:
Very nice shop, I love to have that much room. If I'd stay out of my shop and work on finishing my basement so we can sell and move, I'm promised a bigger shop..... I know, Honey, just as soon as I finish the organ..

I like you idea of covering the table tops on your machines. I have tried tarps, but they are a hassle. If I don't cover them or keep the doors to my shop closes, I will have rusty cat foot prints on the table tops.

Thanks Paul. I use Velcro when needed to hold the carboard in place, like the router. Works well & "softens" dents if I should drop something on them.

Nice shop. Woodworking is a great way to be productive in the winter months. Having a good shop makes it that much more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Nice shop Al dont know how i kept missing this thread. I like your artwork, :thumb:;) brightens things up in the absence of windows. You got a great collection of tools for a guy that started out hesitantly about adding to the collection. Lots of people like that table saw.

I see you into fishing what type ? Any chance you a fly fisherman?

Nice shop Al dont know how i kept missing this thread. I like your artwork, :thumb:;) brightens things up in the absence of windows. You got a great collection of tools for a guy that started out hesitantly about adding to the collection. Lots of people like that table saw.

I see you into fishing what type ? Any chance you a fly fisherman?

Well, first of all, I was surprised to see this thread pop up again. I guess thanks go to Kevin for resurrecting it. Thanks Kevin, I get to see what it was like earlier on when I started this a little over a year ago. Some not so noticeable changes have been made since then, basically various support equipment. :thumb:

Rob, actually I do/did fly fish, as well as spin fish for fresh water species & surf casting for Stripers. Actually, I tied my own flies (not so much any more with arthritis in my fingers) for Trout, Landocked Salmon, Stripers, Large & Smallmouth Bass, Bluefish, and Blue Fin Tuna 20-25 miles offshore in my boat. My best was a 48 lb. BFT on a 9 wt. fly rod, 2 hrs to get it in and an 8" circular black & blue on my belly from the rod butt. My one Canadian fishing experience was many years ago (mid 1960's) in Senneterre Quebec on Parent Lake (North of La Verendre(sic) Park) for large Pike & Walleye also on a fly rod (8 wt.). Red & white flies really worked well. Really nice undeveloped area........then.

I gather you fly fish as well???

Last edited:
Yeah Al i do just dont get to do it as much as i would like. Did not know pike would take a fly. Does it need to be a nymph style or will they take it on surface?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob, check your PM, otherwise we'll have to go to jail for hijacking this thread. :rofl:

PS: Tried to load a picture on a PM to Rob of the BFT I caught on ta 9 wt. fly rod, but couldn't do it. Here it is.

Attachments

• Al's BFT September, 20020002.jpg
    Al's BFT September, 20020002.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: