Weekend Bench photos

Jeff Horton

It the weekend! Time to post those photos of your Bench Top. So what's on your bench this weekend?? Take a photo of you bench top and post it here. Even if there is nothing on it. :rofl: yea right!

Jeff

I have some friends from my woodturning club coming over this afternoon for a mini-demo on how to turn duck calls. Both are very accomplished turners. I'm flattered they asked. But, I'm afraid they will be let down when they see how simple the process is. I'm going to tell them, it is something like the way you make a coonskin cap. Step #1) First, you kill a coon.
Calls: Step #1) First, you get a hunk of tree. ;)

Attachments

• workbench.jpg
    workbench.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 61
ok heres what i did today tried my hand at glueing up a veneered panel , not bad but not great either :rolleyes:

guess i better go get some real veneer tape ......but i do like the birdseye maple :D panel size is about 28" square. i think i did a boo-boo though , i should've used a thinner piece of MDF so i could sandwhich it in 3/4 stock around the edges ..... oh well i will figure out something .
thanks for looking .

Attachments

• birdseye maple 3.jpg
    birdseye maple 3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 31
  • birdseye maple 2.jpg
    birdseye maple 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 27
  • birdseye maple 1.jpg
    birdseye maple 1.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is almost done, need to coat the inside with some refactory paste (ITC-100) to give the kaowool some reflecticity (word?).

Doghouse? Insulated mailbox? Watizzit? :huh:
It's a tool incubator...there's a lot of pre-mature tools in the world that entered in the form of iron, which grew up into steel, which in turn needs to be nurtured into life as a tool.:type:

Funny, funny. Enuf clues 'refractory', 'forge', I figgered out it's a lazy man's kiln or sumptin' for heating arn for pounding on. Lotsa folks around here just use coal in a pan thing with a bellows for their arn poundin'. :rofl:

Funny, funny. Enuf clues 'refractory', 'forge', I figgered out it's a lazy man's kiln or sumptin' for heating arn for pounding on. Lotsa folks around here just use coal in a pan thing with a bellows for their arn poundin'. :rofl:
Been there, done that, and use coal at least once a week. Have also used charcoal in a similar forge at home,

The thing is that for some stuff, gas in quite a bit more convenient, and I'd like to try it. I have not used a propane forge, other than a small micro-forge about a while back.

None the less, it's only a means to heat steel up, it still requires hand forging to move the metal into a usable tool.

Stu, yes, will be gas fired. That's a 3/4" T-Rex burner that Rex Price made. Quite a work of art in itself, the way it's all milled out.

I need to cure it dry first, then apply ITC-100 to it. Will cure it dry in a day or two.

.... First let me give you a little background. (And my wife wanted to know the answer to this also) :D

.... From: Boyd's MODEL SHOP where we DO and build it ALL. Recently, I purchased 150 Colorado Blue Spruce seedlings to be used primarily as a large wind breaker and secondary as a privacy fence from the E.P.C.D., which will be planted about six feet apart. Consequently, when you dig even a small hole in our soil it comes up in CLUMPS. So we had to come up with something that we could refine the native soil so we could mix about half native and half enriched soil to give these trees a decent start, HENCE the DIRT CLUMP REMOVER see pic.

P1010077b.JPG

.... The above pic is the more COURSE REFINER. So we felt, in addition, that we would need a FINER filter as well, see pic below. Unit is not quite finished yet but should be finished before the week is out. Making the soil like sand should definitely give these seedlings a GOOD start.

P1010078b.JPG

:thumb:
whats a dirt clump refiner?