Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP

RIP

My 25 year old B&D Circular Saw finally bit the dust today. I was using it to saw down 2x4's for framing my friends step yesterday and noticed a slight smokiness in the air. Today I went back to remove the forms and cut up the pieces to put in the trash. It started, but was running a bit slow, the second set of boards it wouldn't turn over.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-05 16.48.30.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	75566

I mourned for a few minutes, but quickly got over it and went to the blue borg.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-05 16.48.13.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	75567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-05 16.49.44.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	75568

I didn't spend to much on one, just a 2.5 hp sidewinder. The old one I did use for breaking down sheet goods quite a bit, but I plan to pickup either the Grizzly or Makita track saw for that purpose soon.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

{sniff}.

Congrats on the new saw!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

At least cut the donor cord off and use that!

The Saw is dead! Long live the Saw!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    At least cut the donor cord off and use that!
    I'm afraid even the cord was completely used up , the prongs were bent every which way over the years and the sheath was coming loose from the plug end as well s the saw end. It had gotten that way before I learned to take care of my tools. It did let out a bearing squeal Saturday when I first used it, and I commented to my friend that it hadn't ever done that before. I take it was a small battle cry before it's death.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    At least cut the donor cord off and use that! ...
    Ha! You and I think alike, Stu. I've got a drawer full of donor cords.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...It did let out a bearing squeal Saturday when I first used it, and I commented to my friend that it hadn't ever done that before. I take it was a small battle cry before it's death.
    It was a cry for help. And you ignored it. Such a cruel, cruel man.

Congrats on the new saw!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow! that was a short mourning period for an old friend. It is a saw angel now.

Congrats on the brand new saw.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

the saw is dead long live the saw!
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

my bd circular saw, probably the same age, same model as yours, just wont die.
    Iuse it to cut down scraps for the fire bin or for disposal.
    Ive nicked the cord, that didn't stop it.
    My neighbor just gave me a new blade for it, says he has tons of them and never uses his either.(hes a mostly retired contractor)

I figure it might outlast me.
    Human Test Dummy

I remember the day when Black and Decker tools were considered some of the best, along with Craftsman. Those two companies made a big mistake deciding to go cheap, in my opinion. I have a B&D drill my Dad gave me for Christmas almost 50 years ago. It has been a work horse. Still going.
    "We the People ......"

I agree, was a workhorse for what it was and I know what I personally put it though. Road bouncing around in an old tool box on my truck through out all the years I lived in apartments, worked construction job after construction job, 1000's of feet of plywood cuts it made. It even survived being flooded in a basement years ago, a little wd40 and some time in the sun and it was good to go..
    Darren