RIP

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My 25 year old B&D Circular Saw finally bit the dust today. I was using it to saw down 2x4's for framing my friends step yesterday and noticed a slight smokiness in the air. Today I went back to remove the forms and cut up the pieces to put in the trash. It started, but was running a bit slow, the second set of boards it wouldn't turn over.
2013-05-05 16.48.30.jpg

I mourned for a few minutes, but quickly got over it and went to the blue borg.:p
2013-05-05 16.48.13.jpg2013-05-05 16.49.44.jpg

I didn't spend to much on one, just a 2.5 hp sidewinder. The old one I did use for breaking down sheet goods quite a bit, but I plan to pickup either the Grizzly or Makita track saw for that purpose soon.

At least cut the donor cord off and use that!

I'm afraid even the cord was completely used up :), the prongs were bent every which way over the years and the sheath was coming loose from the plug end as well s the saw end. It had gotten that way before I learned to take care of my tools. :rolleyes: It did let out a bearing squeal Saturday when I first used it, and I commented to my friend that it hadn't ever done that before. I take it was a small battle cry before it's death. :D

At least cut the donor cord off and use that! ...

Ha! You and I think alike, Stu. :D I've got a drawer full of donor cords.

...It did let out a bearing squeal Saturday when I first used it, and I commented to my friend that it hadn't ever done that before. I take it was a small battle cry before it's death. :D

It was a cry for help. And you ignored it.
cry.gif
Such a cruel, cruel man. :rofl:

Congrats on the new saw! :thumb:

my bd circular saw, probably the same age, same model as yours, just wont die.
Iuse it to cut down scraps for the fire bin or for disposal.
Ive nicked the cord, that didn't stop it.
My neighbor just gave me a new blade for it, says he has tons of them and never uses his either.(hes a mostly retired contractor)

I figure it might outlast me.

I remember the day when Black and Decker tools were considered some of the best, along with Craftsman. Those two companies made a big mistake deciding to go cheap, in my opinion. I have a B&D drill my Dad gave me for Christmas almost 50 years ago. It has been a work horse. Still going.

I agree, was a workhorse for what it was and I know what I personally put it though. Road bouncing around in an old tool box on my truck through out all the years I lived in apartments, worked construction job after construction job, 1000's of feet of plywood cuts it made. It even survived being flooded in a basement years ago, a little wd40 and some time in the sun and it was good to go.. :)

This is probably a one-time-only however: My luck with a Makita circle saw was very bad. I purchased it, used it to cut a few 2-3" wide boards and all was well. When I went to cut a 10" wide board it kicked back. My thought was, "You stupid idiot, pay attention and do it right."

The next wide board was the same thing---saw a bit and kick back. Well it turns out that the shoe was not lined up with the blade so the saw pulled to the side making a pinch with the guide board. There is no way to adjust that on the saw. I took it back to the tool store. They are also a Makita repair center. They had to order a new part. Three months later I had my saw back.

The first wide board === kick back!!! My old Craftsman didn't give me kick back problems and neither did my Mall cabinet circle saw. I used those for many years. Anyway what it boils down to is the Makita hangs on the wall. I refuse to use it. It is a sad day when a $20 saw is better than a $100 plus saw.

Unfortunately the experience has made it so that I don't even think Makita when I purchase new tools. Poor service and long delay do not make for happy customers.

Enjoy,
JimB

Darren, I just did the same with a grinder I've had for 20yrs. Was slowing down, then just didnt' work anymore. I'd changed out the brushes several times in the past, but it was DOA this time.

Jim, my dad gave me a makita saw for xmas about 15yrs ago. I've cut lots with it and never had a problem...it's one of my favorite tools I have.