Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Slab Benches

Some Slab Benches

Above benches by Mr. P. Krom!!

I hope he dosen't mind me showing pictures of his handiwork.

Mine will not be as nice, certainly not as pretty wood, but I hope to at least get close to the beautiful benches Mr Krom makes ;D

The wood is from the Doug Fir log that I cut out on my electric chainsaw mill, I cut it in half, down to 90Cm or about 3' long.

Fresh off the chainsaw mill, yep no ripping chain here, that is a ROUGH cut.

This is where a scrub plane really shines, it removes a lot of wood in a hurry!

Next up I use the #5 plane, 45° to the left, then 45° to the right, then with the grain lengthwise.

The mighty #7 is up next to make sure it's all flat.

Flip it over and repeat, making sure the board is also the same thickness as well.

Then there were two

It does make a bit of a mess to be sure ;D

Next up I filled the loose knots with some epoxy, I'll plane those down once it cures.

OK, on to the next step, the legs......

I'm going to need to figure out how to drill a hole all the way through that slab.... ???
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

if i ever get caught up stu i got soe of that to do as well.. yours are coming along great. that looks like a 4.5 scrub??? i thought 4.5 are better for smoothing. the scrub i use is a 3 and i do have a 4s setup for it as well..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looks good Stu!

Can you go through how you used the scrub and smoothing planes for us "plane newbies". For the rough cuts (scrub) are you going across the grain too? What about with the smoothing plane?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

What kind of finish did you use on these?
    Follow me at: www.woodlogger.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Looks good Stu!

Can you go through how you used the scrub and smoothing planes for us "plane newbies". For the rough cuts (scrub) are you going across the grain too? What about with the smoothing plane?
    Yes, you go across the grain with the scrub plane, if you went with it, you would tear out huge long chunks of wood, that would be BAD. By going across the grain, you tear out smaller chunks. With harder woods like Maple, a 45° plane of attack works well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daris Robertson View Post
    What kind of finish did you use on these?
    The benches at the top of the page, the finished ones (the NICE ones) are not mine, they are a friend's work from another online forum. I think he does "a good soaking in BLO/Oil & thinner, and 2 or 3 coats of Oil Poly". I plan on following a similar finish regime.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, I've made a number of simple stools and benches for my BIL's Viking reenactment group, with similarly angled and wedged legs through the seats. To make the holes, I just used a Forstner bit on the drill press, with a simple angled jig attached to the drill press table to make sure all the angles were consistent.

I don't remember exactly why they were on the roof...I think we were trying to speed up the drying time of the finish.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post

I don't remember exactly why they were on the roof...I think we were trying to speed up the drying time of the finish.
    Good thing I read the last line. I was beginning to wonder why those Vikings held their meetings on the roof.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

You are set up to be the bench king with that new chain saw rig. Are you leaving the notches in your tops for character or are you going to try and patch them?

Looks like a lot of fun there Stu
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Nah. You had been sniffin' the fumes too much.......
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire