Some Slab Benches

OK a question for the group, I put Formby's Tung Oil finish on this, I know it's not real Tung Oil, but basically a wiping varnish. I want to now put a thicker film finish on it, I have some oil based Urethane that is for floors, so it should be tough enough for this job.

The question, will it be OK over the Formby's Tung Oil?

Cheers!

Stu that bench looks great! :thumb: I have several slabs that I cut this winter to do just this with once they are dry enough.

I'd go with Penofin outdoor finish. Not sure if you can get it over there, but my dad used it on an oak bike rack he made for the back of his camper and it held up real well on their trip to AK last summer. I've never had luck with film finishes outdoors.

Looks nice, Stu. :thumb:

Not sure about the finish question. I think it'd be OK, but I'd wait and see what some other people say if I was you. ;)

On the other hand, it may not matter a lot anyway, since, as Jeff mentioned, film finishes generally don't seem to last real long outdoors. At an office I worked at in LA, we had wooden slat benches in the outdoor seating areas, and about every two years the maintenance guys had to wire brush and re-coat them with marine varnish.