Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOSTER WORKBENCH AND FOSTER CHAIR VISE

FOSTER WORKBENCH AND FOSTER CHAIR VISE

FOSTER WORKBENCH and FOSTER VISE
    I would like to introduce you to a new workbench design that I came up with over the last few years. I started woodworking when I was nine and soon discovered that I like to not only build things that were beautiful but a challenge to build. With that in mind I ended up switching from one type of woodworking to another from joinery to steam bending, to marquetry to sculptured furniture, and anything else that struck my fancy.
    The idea for the workbench started a few years back when I was asked to lead a group of local woodworkers in building workbenches. This was because I had thought about 45 classes in my shop with 240 students and all of them loved the European-style workbench that I had. I now had a problem in that what kind of the workbench to build because I one already that worked really well for flat cabinet work.
    Because of the problems I’ve had doing steam bending and making sculptured furniture I wanted to make some changes to any new workbench that I built. I wanted to be able larger size, heavier weight when a vacuum table able to do steam bending wanted downdraft table for sculpturing rocking chair seats, lots of holds for bench dogs, and a chair vise to hold sculptured rocking chairs were being assembled. I wanted a single piece frame so that my knees would have a place to go underneath what I said and do close-up work.
    I designed a totally new workbench, the new FOSTER WORKBENCH© that includes the FOSTER CHAIR VISE© as well as the Vertas® twin screw and a great Emmert pattern makers vise. This workbench as far as I can tell, can be used to do any, and all types of woodworking.
    I approached three woodworking magazines to see if they would like me to write a construction article but they all declined. But I want the woodworking community to see a new approach to a workbench, not a rehash of a 300-year-old workbench.
    I uploaded to YouTube 40 videos outlining different ways to use the foster vise for woodworking and furniture construction. You can see the first one at the following address the rest of them can be found on YouTube under the name FOSTER WORKBENCH © or FOSTER VISE ©,

If you want to watch all the videos, about 38 minutes, at one time please go the following link:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...IomylJfRjBZ2Y-
    Last edited by GARY FOSTER; 05-07-2013 at 03:46 AM.

I'll have to wait until I get home to watch the videos, but I'm looking forward to it, Gary.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

so i would say it was there loss and alot of folks gain gary!!!! nice shop and you have been holding out on us so what do you run for a planer?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I am not sure where this came from but it wasn't me at least by anything I intends to do. I have a new android tablet and I smell seething not sue what yet . I didn't even watch all those videos.

Pardon the spelling !

I see we have a Gary Foster that has a really nice shop. I didn't notice the spelling as I am Garry Foster and was blaming my new tab.

So welcome Gary and you have one nice shop.

Garry

well i looked back at his avatar after i asked my question and thought he was to have a lab for a avatar,, so now i see we have two mr fosters

I was having dejavu for a minute there....

Gary, Welcome to the family! You have a very well thought out bench and accessories for it. I'm surprised they rejected you for those articles. Just curious are your holes used for down draft drilled staggered or all in-line? That chair vice looks like it would be quite handy.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    I see we have a Gary Foster that has a really nice shop. I didn't notice the spelling as I am Garry Foster and was blaming my new tab.

So welcome Gary and you have one nice shop.

Garry
    I keep waiting for Vaughan McMillan to show up some day.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I keep waiting for Vaughan McMillan to show up some day.
    that should never happen the world couldnt handle two of them