Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: next best thing?

next best thing?

to getting another lap top, or would i be further ahead to do that.. i seem to be having to much time with her lap top and its bothering the queen bee she has mentioned something she could drop in her purse.. but not paying a high monthly payment for a smart phone.. thats $150 a month and thats not in the cards anymore so you guru's out there whats your suggestions and why? PC not a Mac, the only way i would do a mac would be a laptop.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

If it was me, I would have bypassed the iPad and bit he bullet with a Mac air, getting an 11" version and hook up to a larger monitor for "production" work and using the attached monitor for online and travel. With you being a Mac guy like me the decision is obvious, but I do understand the cost aspect. I taint no guru but I do know what I would do if I did it again

Got me one of them teenagers that does everything on a Samsung galaxy tab 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FU6f4AodcGkA8Q
    But the key board may be a bit small for your mits.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Got me one of them teenagers that does everything on a Samsung galaxy tab 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...FU6f4AodcGkA8Q
    But the key board may be a bit small for your mits.
    That's what I just got last week, It's not as nice as my Ipad was in some ways but better in others.. Costco had it for 269.00... But they aren't really a replacement for a computer...
    At least I don't find them so....

Garry

What does she do on it? Any specific software besides browser and email?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    What does she do on it? Any specific software besides browser and email?
    well darren she is into email, quilt forums and quilting web pages, and also storing her pics to show others.. pinterest is on her need to do list regularly as well tom i am close to switching out for the shop sorta and i know i like macs.. but the stuff i got now is pc based..

Chromebook at the bottom of this page... https://play.google.com/store/device...orpus_selector

A friend has 2 and they are pretty slick. I will be getting one soon. Will do everything she wants without all the junk that comes on a windows laptop and one less digit than the cost of a macbook. You can't load any windows software on it, but with all that google offers, you probably won't need it. They have them at best buy if you want to put your hands on one.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Chromebook at the bottom of this page... https://play.google.com/store/device...orpus_selector

A friend has 2 and they are pretty slick. I will be getting one soon. Will do everything she wants without all the junk that comes on a windows laptop and one less digit than the cost of a macbook. You can't load any windows software on it, but with all that google offers, you probably won't need it. They have them at best buy if you want to put your hands on one.
    hey jeff can she do the banking on that as well if she needed to? no software loading capabilities? that acer one is affordable

what are the thughts on this darren? or tom ? dont want to get short changed like you are tom..

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well darren she is into email, quilt forums and quilting web pages, and also storing her pics to show others.. pinterest is on her need to do list regularly as well tom i am close to switching out for the shop sorta and i know i like macs.. but the stuff i got now is pc based..
    What does she use for taking pictures? Reason I ask it that you have to get them off of cameras and many of the tablet devices don't support it or have enough space for the pictures to download many of them. I'd say you'd still be better off with a laptop or macbook as Tom suggested.

I've bought my wife the little netbook, it was too small (8" screen) and didn't run all the applications she wanted while on the road, the iPad which she uses the heck of out, but not for spending serious time on the internet (screen is too small), and a new laptop with a 12" screen. She uses the laptop mostly when she is going to be sitting at her desk or doing a lot of internet browsing, also to upload pics from her camera and work on photo editing. I didn't find that "all purpose" device for her.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

iPad mini fits in a purse easily, does everything that the iPad does, lets you read mail and browse forums. I dunno about banking but I bet you can. My boss has one at home and loves it for reading books. At $329 it's not terribly expensive. The downside is that it is on the small side. An Android tablet is probably bigger and cheaper, but I confess I know very little about them.

Personally I bought a Playbook when their price dropped a couple years ago. They're still quite cheap, and also will easily fit in a purse. I quite like the interface. It does email and web browsing just fine. And I just discovered the other day how to side-load Android apps onto it, and they work just fine. Now, I'm a geek, so a five step process is no big deal for me, but I wouldn't recommend that for the non-technical out there. But of course if all you care about is email and web browsing that is no concern. Again, the screen is on the small side, but that is what you get if you want the whole "Fits in a purse" option.

I think that pretty much ALL of the current crop of tablets out there will support some form of bluetooth keyboard. So you could buy a tablet and toss that in the purse and use it as it 90% of the time, and then when you're at home and want to do banking or serious email, then you pull out the bluetooth keyboard and "Bob's Yer Uncle"...

...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood