Table top finish question

Sayer Fancher

I just finished building a table from an old barn door. This one will be used outside on a open deck. I put 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of exterior latex paint on it. Question, is there anything I can put on the paint to help it hold up to the weather or is it best just to leave it with just the painted surface? It will be stored inside during the winter months. I'm trying to keep it as a soft glow finish. Thanks.

Might want to try an oil base clear cote. Go to a paint store and ask for their clear base ,( used to mix their darkest colors), have them stir it with a paint stick and wipe it to check that is in fact a clear base. It provides UV protection as well as weather protection. Hope this helps.

Im pretty sure if its oil based latex paint, you could put a spar varnish, like a marine poly over it.
Ive used epifanes over latex painted chairs. It wasn't 100% clear, it had that slight tint, but wasn't noticeable.
You can go to any marina and ask them what they coat on the painted above water sides of a boat, they will know for sure.

and I don't care what finish you use on it, the best bet is to keep it out of direct sunlight, it will do much better.

so whens the barby to try out the new table?

Last edited: