Signs for the nephews

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I are visiting our nephews soon. Their mom asked me a while back to make signs for each of them for their bedrooms. One is into paleontology (dinosaurs), another sports, and the youngest likes Ironman. I plan to use the cnc to carve out the pics on their own panel and hang the name plates below on eyelets/short chains, so as they grow they can use the name plates for other purposes.

Matthew.PNGMichael.PNGMacaleb.PNG2013-05-12 22.17.02.jpg

Also given that they are three young boys, I'll round the corners to soften any sword fighting blows. :D

Well, two out of three isn't bad.
2013-05-13 20.25.26.jpg2013-05-13 20.25.33.jpg

Have tried the ironman one twice now and my stepper for the Z axis has been skipping. Both failures were when it should have raised the router, but instead left it in place, then drove it down more. I've cranked it down to about half speed now, lubed up the screw rod, and added a little play to the rod. Too late for another run, so will give it a try tomorrow. Looking like I should have gone with a 425 oz/in instead of the 280 oz/in I did.
2013-05-13 20.13.46.jpg2013-05-13 22.00.50.jpg

When I get back after our upcoming trip I'm going to start the design for the new table and start getting it built.

Edit: not sure what happened to my pics, but reattached them.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob! :wave:

I rounded over all the edges and sealed them with de-waxed shellac. Will give them a quick light sanding tomorrow, but planning to let their mom do the painting for them.

2013-05-15 21.07.14.jpg

Saturday I ran to the local HD and got some chain and eye hooks to hang the name plates from the ones with the pics. Each of the boys helped me make marks and assemble their signs, well the two older ones helped with the youngest's.
photo-5.jpg photo-4.jpg photo-5a.jpg

I also got some junior FWW administrators in the works...
photo-3.jpg

BTW... The oldest was really into helping drill the holes and install the hardware. He asked about coming home with me to stay for a while so he could help me around the shop. Trying to not let him down I mentioned that his cousin Greg (our son) is getting married and we had to save our vacation for his wedding.

He came up with the idea that he wanted to come up and build a house for Greg for his wedding. I tried to tell him that it would take a lot of wood, but he wants to put his own money towards buying the wood to help build the house. We later went to Home Depot to get some air filters. He spent about 15 minutes looking in the wood isle to find a wood (mdf) for the flooring in the house. I asked him why he chose the mdf, he said because it was smooth and didn't have any bad spots that would hurt Greg's feet if he wanted to walk around barefoot.

His mom texted tonight and said he was drawing house plans.

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 7
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 6
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: