Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Got a Question, Need advice - Turners

I Got a Question, Need advice - Turners

I'm working on a prototype wheel for a little cart. It is around 9.5 inches in diameter. I want to part off the outside portion shone where the arrows are in the first picture. Is it safe to do that on the lathe? There are 8 spokes (wooden dowels) going from the part I want to art off into a hud. Second picture shows the holes drilled for the spokes to go through and to the hub. Any suggestions on a better way to part that off is it wouldn't be safe to do it on the lathe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1347.JPG   IMG_1348.JPG  
    "We the People ......"

This is a bit outa my league Paul...but someone has the answer!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

The problem with parting off the outside part of a round piece like that is once if becomes detached, there's nothing to hold it in place. On something small like a bracelet, that's not a real big issue...the piece just stays on the shank of the turning tool. With bigger pieces, though, the loose piece can go airborne. This is what can happen when a piece goes airborne...I was parting off the circle from the inside of a donut chuck:

My suggestion would be to almost part it off all the way through, then remove it from the lathe and finish the cut with a jigsaw or scroll saw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks, I was leary about it, that's why I asked. I've parted lots of smaller thing with no problems, but this is pretty big. You have a good idea on it. Another thing I could do I guess is make a circle jig for a router but I hate to go to that much trouble for something I don't know if it will work when I get done.
    "We the People ......"

You could clamp a couple of guides to the bed that would ensure the wheel couldn't leave the rim once parted off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    You could clamp a couple of guides to the bed that would ensure the wheel couldn't leave the rim once parted off.
    I had a live chuck in the tailstock to help support it, so it couldn't have left the lathe. I guess I was more concerned, being I had 8 spoke holes drilled through it that I would get a bad catch and break a wrist or something. I'm a little gun shy right now, just recovering from a nasty kick back on the table saw, from being stupid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1346.JPG  
    "We the People ......"

Paul is there any chance you could turn a disc from some layers of MDF sized large enough to create a cavity into which you could jam fit your wheel. What I am trying to describe is a three layer MDF jig. Two layers are discs glue solidly together. The third layer is a circle of MDF layers thick enough to accommodate your wheel glued to the face of the two layers glued together. This whole contraption should be mounted on a face plate and trued up on the outside diameter. Then the internal diameter of the circles should be carefully sized so that the wheel can be jammed inside and held securely.

I cannot tell if you have sufficient clearance around your disc for the disc to swing freely and not hit the lathe ways. If you could do that and apply a little tape to the outside edge of the wheel overlapping the MDF and a screw or two to the center of the wheel blank disc neither would go anywhere when you parted them. I would make a wide parting cut working it down gradually so there is no chance of binding when you finally cut through the wheel blank.

Since you are making multiple wheels the jig could be used over and over. A hole or two around the inside of the MDF circles would allow you to tap the jam fit wheel out from the back side.

I doubt any of this makes sense.....Maybe someone can do a better job of explaining it.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Mike, I understand what you are describing and I could probably squeeze it on the lathe. I have a little over 6" clearance. I have a 1' X 12" pine board, might make a good jam chuck out of.
    "We the People ......"

That is a very akward way to try to make a spoked wheel. DAMHIK
    Spoked wheels are correctly made in two halves with the wood rims cut on a bandsaw and the spokes attached to the hub first then the rim halves added. Once together and secured, the wheel can be put on a lathe to true up for roundness. Securing can be done several ways depending on what the item is and the period correctness you are trying to achieve. A lot of research can be involved making your first wheels.
    I would not attempt the part you are asking about.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

What you are saying is I am trying to "reinvent the wheel"...
    "We the People ......"