Thread: Router Bit Carbide Failure - One Scary UFO

Grand Rapids, MI

Router Bit Carbide Failure - One Scary UFO

So on Saturday I bought a brand new 1/2" shank Whiteside rabbetting bit set. It didn't disappoint, and the first 8 operations went flawlessly. It easily handled a very heavy cut using a medium duty hand-held router. Of course, the cut quality was great as well. On the 9th operation I had to make a climb cut, and suddenly a chunk of wood broke free and my router became a wood chipper. The router hardly kicked, and suddenly the wood was starting to burn. It took me a few minutes before I actually looked at the bit. To my horror a full width chunk of carbide was completely gone! My cut had been controlled, not too heavy as it was a climb cut, and there was no foreign object in the wood. After further examination I decided it had to be a defect in the carbide, because half of the cutter blade looked like broken carbide, and the other half was dark, semi-shiny and smooth (which didn't look like normal broken carbide).

Any one else have this happen before? With Whiteside?

Luckily I didn't get hit by the flying piece, and the workpiece was fully intact as well. I returned the bit for a new one, but my next pass I made while wearing a face shield.

- Hutch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rabbet 1.jpg   Rabbet 2.jpg   Rabbet 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 05-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.

No longer associated with Woodcraft. That's right, I am now a full time woodworker!

Delton, Michigan
    let us know what white side says about why hutch? i know they stand behind there stuff and you have connections as well.. but that is real strange that a new bit would do that.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I sent a bit to Whiteside just to help them diagnose the problem. They sent me a new bit. I was using a very dainty keyhole bit but that rabbet is a different matter.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

ABQ NM
    Wowsers, that had the potential to be really ugly. Curious to see what Whiteside says about the failure.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    BTDT - but with a JESADA (Remember them?) bit about 15 years ago. The bit was in a router table, and the loose carbide embedded itself in the back of the fence. Router - now out of balance - begin immediate vibration/shuddering. Shutdown was uneventful, other than my needing an immediate trip to the head...

Carlo Venditto replaced the bit, and asked for the broken one to investigate further.
    Jim D.

Grand Rapids, MI
    I was in a hurry so I didn't send it to Whiteside. I exchanged for a new one at our local Woodcraft (where I bought it), cuz I needed to get back to work. Due to the way corporate Woodcraft handles miscellaneous defective products I doubt I would be able to get it sent to Whiteside for diagnosis. But I think I will talk to the managers and see if they can send it in. I will let you know if I am able to get an answer to the problem.

- Hutch

No longer associated with Woodcraft. That's right, I am now a full time woodworker!

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Scary. That could have resulted in a super serious injury. Glad you are OK.
    "stuff" happens.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    Good cautionary tale. Glad you're OK.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln