Adirondack Chair(s)

I gotta agree, Ned. The lengths of the back slats look uneven, and I think having equal spaces between each slat would also look better. I do like the way you incorporated the tree silhouette, though.

Have you considered trimming the ends of the back slats after everything is assembled? Seems it'd be pretty easy to draw a curve on the back and trim the ends with a jigsaw.

Ditto on the tree. The slats would look better if they came together at their base, then spread as you have them, whether they're wider or narrower.

Im sure they are comfortable, I see the seat has a nice curve in it, and it looks like the back has enough angle.

the second picture, it looks like the end slats are higher than all the middle slats. 98% of the Adirondack plans Ive looked at, always have the center slats higher and tapered down to the end slats.

if you care to look at the plans I use, not suggesting you redo the chairs, just want to show you the difference, pm me your email and Ill send the plans to you.

I've made a few of these. I like the grain on trhe arms here, and I love your pine tree motif in the centre. I would never have thought of that. You might try making the slats more vertical, or tapering them slightly and crowding them a little more. Nice work! How are you going to finish them?

By the way, these are Muskoka chairs, at least in Ontario. ;)

Nice chairs. Been real tempted to make some for our deck. One thing I never understood about Adirondack chairs as well as Morris chairs, why are they designed to sit so low. I made a Morris chair several years ago, followed a plans and it sits low like all Morris and Adirondack chairs I have seen. It is pretty comfortable once you sit, but at my age it is a chore to get out of.

thanks all... I'm pretty bushed at the moment, so just a quick reply tonight... more after I grab some sleep...

I forget where I saw the tree motif, but it must have been in one of the mags' plans... suspecting PopWood .... simple as can be, I just marked 1.5", 1.25 etc... and mirrored the cuts on the bandsaw. Looking at the slats, I think I mixed up two stacks (I cut enough for two chairs) so I will at Least pull those off (all but the center two) and line them up in proper order... but more likely I'll simply cut some wider pieces, I have 5 or 6 more 2x6x10' PT boards on hand.

Roger, my plan is to let these dry a few weeks or more, then put on a primer layer, and a good coat of latex in a deep forest green or two over that.

oh, Paul, check out Jake's chair... taller and slightly wider adirondack style chair, but one which doesn't make you feel like you need a sky hook to get in or out of them.

Thanks guys,
I am going to make some wider slats and rework the back. I'll save these for the next set of chairs I build, I made these 'Ned size'... but I plan on making at least another pair which will be slightly narrower and these slats won't go to waste. I I reread The plans from Wood say to make the cut on the chair... drat...ah well. I do have a jigsaw... but thought I could do it before hand. Not going to happen today, I only have a couple of hours, think I'll do some shop re-organization instead.

Echo the comments above. As an added thought. The flat areas of the arm rests will collect water. If you were able to belt sand just a slight crown to the tops of these areas, the arms would tend to shed water, providing a longer life. Just a thought.