Drying Green Wood Using Plastic Wrap?

In my experience, plastic wrap (or bags) accelerates the mold-growing process. And not the good, "spalted wood" kind of mold. More like the "black fungus that looks like it could kill you" kind of mold. ;)

I do know some guys (including me) have used plastic stretch wrap to cover part of the outside of a bowl after it has been rough turned, but in those cases the inside is still exposed to air...the plastic just slows the outside drying a bit.

Plastic won't really assist with drying as its generally water proof

If its a rough out I coat it with BLO then place in a cardboard box or paper sack with the open end facing down

I use it all the time...just poke some holes in it (not a million...just several dozen...depending on the blank size) this way the moisture can get out in a small way. Mold does happen, but plastic is cheaper!

Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy on other forums uses shrink wrap to cover the outside of his turn green to finish bowls, says it really cuts down on the cracking of the madrone he typically turns.

Dan

Reed Gray aka Robo Hippy on other forums uses shrink wrap to cover the outside of his turn green to finish bowls, says it really cuts down on the cracking of the madrone he typically turns.

Dan

Hey Dan, good to see you. :wave: If I recall correctly, I think Reed just wraps the top few inches of the rim with plastic and leaves the lower part of the bowl unwrapped. Is that how you understand it, too? I've done mesquite that way and had good results, but this was pretty stable wood that didn't move a lot anyway.

Hey Vaughn, I guess I don't remember that part, I think he does go up over the rim so that at least the outside edge of the rim is covered, but not sure about the bottom.

It's been so long since i've posted here, I had forgotten what my icon looked like! Kind of frightening really. :)

Edit: Guess you are right, he just wraps the rim, with about an inch above to cover the outside edge.

Dan

Last edited: