bedroom, getting there,

I don't reallyl work up there now, most of the room work is finished, now its just getting back into the garage and building.
And the garage AC is not up to the task in 90 degree weather with 80% humidity.
I don't have enough juice out there to run a bigger unit, and expect to run any machines same time.

Just catching up on this Allen...its looks great! Like others said, it can wait until the weather breaks. The humidity here left last night...hopefully the same is heading your way!

I need to secure it, and attach the rest of the cap molding I made for the kneewall panels, but by tomorrow morning all that will be finished.\
The rest of the wall will be made in 4 sections. 2 bottom sections of drawers, and 2 upper cabs of cabs with doors.
Just waiting on the wife to let me know if she wants the 2 top sections set back a few inches, not flush with the bottom cabs in front.

Tomorrow morning is the point I wanted to be by mid august. Im about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, but Im pretty certain this hot summer will put me far behind once I start the bottom sections.
Id like to have the bottoms finished and installed before it gets too cold to spray in the garage, hoping by late oct , the uppers are not so important.
Its a slow process for me these days.
I have a lot of little projects Im not starting, and I really need to bang out some boards, some chairs, some pens, my wife already gave me a long list for wine bottle stoppers, and I haven't even looked at any kits yet.

the cab door opens that way because of the headknocking area its in, probably wont use that cab much.

as Ive mentioned, I made the base for all the cabs so I could level it all, and used a spacer from the back wall to plumb the cabs, as the walls aren't that straight, and there will be a molding running along the ceiling down the slope to cover the gap I left from top of cab and future cabs. Left myself enough room to correct for all the uneven walls, floors and ceiling.

Attachments

• 100_1475.jpg
    100_1475.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 51
the weather has been great here, 80 and low humidity the past 3-4 days, been getting a lot accomplished.
finished all the drawer fronts, stained and restained, got the face frames onto the 2 main cabs, and installed all the slides today.
It was beautiful today, so since I didn't need to do any machine work, I set myself up in my yard and worked there most of the day.
I was taking a break, sitting in the mostly dark garage,(I didn't turn any lights on, only had the ac running, cracked the entrance door a bit for light, and I was just sitting in the dark.
I got up to go back to work, not paying attention to anything, and a stinking black cat took 2 years off my life.
As I was about to walk up to the door, through the corner of my eye I noticed something walking into the garage, something 4 legged, small, and it really startled me, as I didn't expect it.
I played with it for a few minutes, friendly cat, but I had to catch my breath, not sure why, like someone walking up to you from behind when youre really concentrating on something. Im glad I didn't have my hands near a blade when the sucker walked in.
I have no clue who's cat it is.

this is what woodworking is for me.
I know my level of craftsmanship is not comparable to so many here and on that other site.
Im totally aware of my limitations, as far as talent goes, I know exactly where I stand on the totem pole.

but 10 years ago, when I was healthy, thinner and 20 years younger, I would have never thought Id ever tackle knee walls, built ins, etc.
Woodworking has given me a bit of confidence to try things, made me realize theres no harm in trying.
I have some machines, I have some wood, why not try to make things I can use in my everyday life.
Besides, it keeps me busy.
like I said, this is what doing woodworking or related work is all about for me.

once again, just non focus might have caused me a lot of grief.

When I make cabinets with face frames, I usually make the height of the face frame approx. 1/8 taller than the box, usually letting the overhang on the bottom, and I can trim off if I desire or if its on a base, I can leave it if the base is set back an inch or two.
I have two bottom cabs, and I didn't pay attention and attached one frame higher than the other. The drawer fronts wont line up.
No way I can get the face frame off without doing damage.

Im at the spraying point, so Im proceeding today with lacquer. Its only 2 face frames. Im going to have to line up the face frames and shimmy the cabs so they are exact, or make another cabinet.

gonna have to sit down and look at this, maybe figure out some easy solution. I hate getting this far and realizing I did something wrong.

sprayed it all, now I have to go (pay the piper) and figure out what to do, cant put it off any longer.
Finally got a contractor today to come look at the AC situation in my home, so I have to hang out all day anyway waiting for him.
I might just shimmy the cabinet up an 1/8th of an inch, then attach the two of them.

If the shimmy works, do it! I know it will bother you, but just go make something else and you'll forget about it, until you look at the cabs again.:D :rolleyes:

Hope you can get it to work out to your liking Allen, I know it will look good to all of us here and to anyone that is able to see it in person. :thumb:

I enlisted the help of my BIL, unfortunately, all the kids went back to college, no one is around to help me get these units upstairs.
Felt bad, my BIL just spent 3 days upstate schlepping all my nieces furniture back up 2 flights of stairs into her college apt, but at least he was warmed up.

My wife feels putting more cabinets on top would be overwhelming in this small room, so after I sand the drawer fronts and clean up the units, I will attach the cabinets together, put on the trim(that piece between the ceiling and the triangle cubbie is only held on with tape so my wife could take a look at things in place, needs to be trimmed and pinned on), I might just make a top, and put on the side(finished cherry 1/4 inch ply)
She wants to put a picture or something else with color, says we have no more need for any cabinets up there. Ok with me, less work.
Ill see how she likes it after I put a top on.(the top will be 1/4 inch cherry ply, laminated onto mdf or ply, whatever I have to use, with a solid cherry border)
Heres where Im at.

Attachments

• 100_1484.jpg
    100_1484.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_1485.jpg
    100_1485.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 31
and moving along.100_1486.jpg100_1487.jpg

as much as I think I keep learning from previous mishaps with unplumb walls and uneven floors, I still seem to trip myself up with new nonsense.
Im guessing I will eventually figure it all out, hopefully sooner than later.
The knee wall panels I installed were unplumb, so in order to set cabinets a bit straighter and plumb,(my faceframe mistake hasn't helped any either) I had to pull it out a bit.
I have an approx. 1/4 inch gap at bottom of right triangle cab.100_1489.jpg My wife says without telling her she wouldn't notice, but Ill just use a piece of roundover molding to cover the gap.

Took a couple extra pictures, not sure which is clearer, but its easy to see how the knee walls go with the wall cabinets.

My wife is extremely happy. doesn't take much to please her.

I can finish the base molding at the cabinet end now.

(the cabinets frames, drawer frames and drawer panels were all stained with minwax oil based stain. Second coat was wiped on and wiped off to even it all out. After 10 days, I sprayed 4 coats of em6000 water based laquer. Sanded heavy spots of first and second coat, then sprayed 2 lighter coats. Even though I didn't think it needed sanding, I sanded the surfaces lightly with 400 grit to remove dust particles from spraying)

Last edited:
cut the side panel on an angle to cope it close to the wall, and laminated a piece of 1/4 cherry ply, on top of 3/4 inch Baltic, gave it a solid cherry border for the top.
Cut the angle on one side of the top to fit into angled wall.(still need to attach molding over the triangle cab, that's for the end)
This picture shows just how wavy the walls are.
Im going to build top cabs, only because I need the practice, my wife says no, but I say yes, I want to try. If I mess up, no harm no foul, Im staining the top and spraying it so I can always call it quits at this point.
Will sand, stain, and spray the side panel and top.(I didn't bother making a fancy side panel with stiles and rails, not necessary as far as Im concerned)

I was cutting holes in acrylic pen blanks while the glue was drying, and I gave myself a nice gash, so Im going online to order a pen vise, not bothering to make one, they are cheap enough. It finished me for the day.

Attachments

• 100_1490.jpg
    100_1490.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1492.jpg
    100_1492.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_1493.jpg
    100_1493.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 26
another vote for no more cabs on top allen, and the trim piece you want to cover the gap should be a bevel like the top you have made to blend in with the rest of the group.. looks great allen in person and on here:)

another vote for no more cabs on top allen, and the trim piece you want to cover the gap should be a bevel like the top you have made to blend in with the rest of the group.. looks great allen in person and on here:)

the piece to cover the gap is the same shape, I have a pathetic router bit collection. I keep meaning to get serious and expand my collection, but I always seem to make it by with the old bits I have.

my sil, by bil, my son, his girlfriend, all agree with my wife and those on here, no top cabinets.
seems to be the message Im getting.
Im going to roll it around a bit tomorrow, maybe hold off until I stain and spray the top to see how it looks finished.

Its not like I don't have 20 other projects lined up. I want to get an early start on small projects I need for the holiday season.

I

Last edited: