Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I JUST BECAME A TRUCK OWNER!

Exclamation I JUST BECAME A TRUCK OWNER!

I have wanted a pickup truck for a very long time, and finally got the agreement of the Memsahib that I could go and get one. SO my son and I went up to Georgetown ON, and made a deal for this one. We got him to knock down the price by about $1800 after taxes, warranty and dealer prep. It looks like a new vehicle, and is very clean and nice to drive. It has the extended cab and 6' box. It's 10 years old and has 57,000 km on the clock; that's about 35,000 miles. Shouldn't have any trouble bringing lumber home now, eh?
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 05-17-2013 at 03:24 AM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

I had a 1997 ranger for 14 years, traded it in for a 2011 Ranger with the 4.0 V6, it has plenty of power. I loved them both! IMHO the best small truck there is!
    Last edited by Dan Mooney; 05-17-2013 at 03:35 AM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Nice! Congrats Roger! Get a couple of 2x6's or 2x8' and cut them to span those two shelves in the back on the bed liner to be able to haul 4x8 sheets over the top of the wheel wells. Might even make a little box to stand up on the tailgate to support the end. Of course you could just buy enough hardwood to raise the plywood above the wheel wells too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    I had a 1997 ranger for 14 years, traded it in for a 2011 Ranger with the 4.0 V6, it has plenty of power. I loved them both! IMHO the best small truck there is!
    My 1997 4.0L V6 Ranger is still going strong. It is a shame they stopped making Rangers.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

I bought my dream vehicle in the year 2000. A ford F350 diesel dually. I knew the second the salesman introduced himself to me that I was going to buy my truck from him. He had the same name as my dad, Larry Dowell, which was odd, because my full name is Brent Larry Dowell. Kind of one of those the universe is going to slap you in the head every now and then type things.

I love my truck. His Name is "King Bubba", aka, King Bubba Truck. F350 Diesel dually, 6 speed manual transmission extended cab. He will do whatever I need.

You will never regret having a truck. I'm going to keep bubba for a very, very long time.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Wow, that looks great!

I'll be looking for a car for my eldest daughter living in Canada soon, this gives me hope that I can find something decent for a reasonable price!

What did the truck sell for new in 2003?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

2004 4.0L V6 4x4 with 42K miles here I got it after my 1999 Ranger was totaled (offset head on with an F250 that was doing 50mph+ - I lost the battle, but imho the Ranger literally saved my life - if I'd been in a smaller rig or something with less safety gear or less effective crumple zones you would have been spared my presence). They're real nice trucks. My main disappointments are (like everyone else ) that its been discontinued and that they never offered the diesel version here.

I'm sure you'll like this one; looks like a real nice clean truck Heck the seats even look practically brand new! The bed liner is a nice touch as well. I was going to get mine spray lined when I bought it but the local guys sprayer was broken for several months and well.. yeah never got back to get it done and it shows some. Always just hung the 4x8 plywood over the tailgate which works fine to

Congrats, Roger! That truck looks like it's in great shape, and it's just getting broken in mileage-wise. My Ranger lumber hauler is a '97 4x4 extended cab with the 4.0L V6 and a 5 speed manual. Still running strong after 235,000+ miles. The clutch was replaced 100,000 miles or so ago. It was a hand-me-down from my dad, and bless his heart he put a lift gate with a 1,000 pound capacity on it. Perfect for collecting big chunks of urban hardwood for lathe fodder.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow, all you Ford guys

Looks like a great truck, Congrats Roger

I've got a 2008 Silverado which I bought new. It broke my heart to trade in my Hummer but now I wonder how I ever got along without it. Only problem is that people want to borrow it all the time
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Stuart, I think it was probably in the mid to high 20's, but I don't know for sure. It is a 4x4, so it's more truck than I was expecting to get, and it is so clean it looks new. Vaughn, my Saturn has 367,000 km on it, so about 235,000 mi. I was almost tempted to do the $1500 worth of repairs it needs, but I don't think it owes me anything. American vehicles are much better than in the 60's. I haven't really been a Ford guy, as I've driven mostly GM products, and now Toyotas (made in Canada,) but I have talked to a few Ranger owners, and the GM small trucks are in a different price universe. Nowever, this truck has the extended cab and 6' box, and a 6cyl. engine, which are the main things I wanted, as well as low mileage and good looks. I'm quite thrilled with this purchase. I pickup my pickup next Wednesday after it's been safetied and detailed and plated.

It's been driven less than 6,000 km per year, on average, and has never had a heavy load in that bed. I don't know why the original owner would have bought a truck like this and never used it.
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 05-17-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln