Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame that TV

Frame that TV

As of late, more of my clients with full blown entertainment centers are choosing to see the screen of the tv rather than hide it behind doors. This offers us the opportunity to get "jiggy" with the situation. They, the clients, are asking for a frame to cover most of the tv except for the image.
    With the changing of tv's occuring as often as it does for the wealthy, some want to be prepared for an upgrade and physical size change which is inevitible. The "framing" in of the tv offers some flexibility for the tv cavity with out the obvious glaring irregularities that occur with a tv model change. We do however need to be accurate and creative with our solutions. Thus the problem I had to deal with. Attachment 6601 It was a tv that stuck out like a girl in a pink dress at a funeral. Fortunately they didn't like it and so the plot thickens.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Robert here is one I did a few years ago.

Dennis
    Attachment 6603

Kewl, another Shaz-style plot thickening....

I can't wait to see what you wind up doing/did with that.

Here's what Denise and I did in our new house, before we even started on the shop:

Attachment 6604

I never did get a picture after we painted that molding, but it wound up the same color as the walls. Looks 'passable'...considering I didn't have access to any of my tools...

Our solution doesn't accomodate different TV sizes, but it sure solved the placement issue in our new house.

Oh, and as always, Denise was an active participant in the project. In fact, she fit better up in the hole than I did, so I did all the framing, but then asked her help in securing the decking/shelving:

Attachment 6605

So, let's see what you come up with for you client...

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Perry View Post
    Robert here is one I did a few years ago.

Dennis
    Attachment 6603
    Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for adding the photo to your posting, that frame really ties the tv into the console below. Were they planned together or was the frame an after thought? They work well, nice job!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh View Post

Here's what Denise and I did in our new house, before we even started on the shop:

Attachment 6604

I never did get a picture after we painted that molding, but it wound up the same color as the walls.I really like the wall color and the way it works with the fireplace surround is very attractive, i'm sure it 's real purdy. Looks 'passable'...considering I didn't have access to any of my tools... Some folks don't know how difficult it is to do a job just making do with what tools are handy. "Looks fine from my house!"

Our solution doesn't accomodate different TV sizes, but it sure solved the placement issue in our new house. It looks very comfortable where you have it.

Oh, and as always, Denise was an active participant in the project. In fact, she fit better up in the hole than I did, so I did all the framing, but then asked her help in securing the decking/shelving:

Attachment 6605
    Another success for the two of you. Good Job Thanks for sharing the photos and the post.

So, let's see what you come up with for you client...

- Marty -
    This client needless to say wanted it to match the existing cabinet.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Attachment 6646
    I was not there but I have heard the conversation went like this, at the first viewing of the tv in the hole...
    Owner..."That sucks, I don't like that one bit"
    Decorator..."We can probably get the tv changed to black or dark charcoal."
    Audio Video provider..."No we can't"
    Owner... "Well this isn't going to work!"
    Decorator..."What are we going to do?"
    Audio Video provider..."I have an idea".
    Shaz enters stage left..."Say dudes and dudettes what's happin en" A little drama doesn't hurt.
    In actuality I soon got a call asking me to come visit the job site.
    Here were the constaints. The tv foot stuck out farther than the rest of the tv and more right in the center.Attachment 6645
    Shaz
    Here is how

On the sides, left and right of the image, in the aluminum colored frame were the tv speakers that they wanted to work.
    Attachment 6647

At the bottom of the tv, across the lower horizontal part they wanted to allow air to get in for ventilation, and be sure the remote would work when I finished.Attachment 6648
    Surprisingly they mentioned nothing about it being pretty.. At this point it must have been "we trust you" or "anything will be better than the pink dress at the funeral", see post #1
    What do you think about lacquer?
    Shaz
    Here is how

Hey Robert, I made the two pieces at the same time. It's a 42" wide scream plasma, the console is about 42" high X 90" by 16" deep. Framing in a plasma TV is no problem a CRT?????
    Have fun Dennis

shaz, there`s a major up-charge for working on green cabinetry.....blach!
    interested in your solution? tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I am currently doing another unit that also frames, or at least considers, the TV and makes it part of the overall design. Probably harder to blend more traditional looks with modern TVs. Below is the first one I did several years ago that chose not to hide the TV. The frame is held in place by velcro and a few hidden screws, designed so the TV section could easily be reworked for a new TV (within reason). The TV space is vented to the upper cabinet, which also holds the other electronic components, which is then vented at the top. Speaker mesh was used in the flip-up door for air flow, and infrared works just fine through that for remotes. Maybe you could have them re-paint the TV to match or better contrast the "milkpaint" look???

Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com