Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danish oil vs Tung oil finishes

Danish oil vs Tung oil finishes

Would the drying time be any different between these two products? I have a can of Formby's tung oil finish and a can of Watco Danish oil. Is there much difference between the two?
    If I needed to apply finish to a project that say....had a deadline of the end of this month and I needed to package and ship that project by the end of this month would either type of oil finish be dry? Time for multiple coats?
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

No difference between the two in my opinion, wipe on let sit for 30 min, wipe off excess and apply another coat the next day is how I do it.others may do it differently. Neither one probably contain any tung oil though, that is a marketing term.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Would the drying time be any different between these two products? I have a can of Formby's tung oil finish and a can of Watco Danish oil. Is there much difference between the two?
    If I needed to apply finish to a project that say....had a deadline of the end of this month and I needed to package and ship that project by the end of this month would either type of oil finish be dry? Time for multiple coats?
    They are both a varnish/oil/solvent mix. You can thin with VM&P Naptha and wipe on thin. If you are looking for a faster dry and a harder finish, use an oil base interior varnish, and thin with Naptha to make a wiping varnish.

Danish oil vs Tung oil finishes

I've used a lot of the Formby's Tung Oil Finish. No need to thin it. It'll be dry overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The difference between the 2 would be very small, but the Formby's is (according to Flexner) simply a wiping varnish (varnish and solvent) while the Watco's is actually a danish oil (oil/varnish/solvent). I would think the Watco would be a little slower, but I'm not sure you could tell the difference.

Yep, Formby's is just plane ole wiping varnish. Here's a link to a very interesting article about what's in those finishes. Good Read!

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com...ker-To-Do.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    Yep, Formby's is just plane ole wiping varnish. Here's a link to a very interesting article about what's in those finishes. Good Read!

http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com...ker-To-Do.aspx
    Interesting indeed, but I'll dispute at least one point it claims. The article says:

...On the other hand, Formby’s, Zar, Gillespie, and Hope’s “Tung Oil Finish” are wiping varnish—nothing more than regular varnish to which mineral spirits has been added, thinning the varnish so that it can be wiped on. (You can make your own wiping varnish by thinning the varnish you already own 50/50 with mineral spirits.) As with the oil/varnish blends mentioned, none of these wiping varnishes contains so much as a drop of tung oil...
    This is contrary to information on the Formby's website:

Tung Oil Finish: A high quality varnish made from a balanced blend of tung oil and other fine penetrating oils.
    Formby's is not hiding the fact that it is a wiping varnish, and I don't believe they could claim it contains tung oil if it didn't.

The author of the article is (or was) the owner of a hardwood lumber store. I suspect he knows a fair amount about finishes and such, but don't see anything - aside from a few blog posts 3 or 4 years ago - to suggest that he's an expert in the field.

workingwoods.com

Don't want to argue, but they don't claim that it contains Tung oil, they just say Tung oil finish their MSDS doesn't list any Tung oil but it does state there is 78% mineral spirits by weight. It's all in the way the user perceives the information. I still am not convinced that it actually contains Tung oil Vaughn I have met and talked with Steve Mickley many times and he is very knowledgeable about finishing. He doesn't claim to be an expert.His store is one of my go to places to get supplies and he is the one I talk to if I have a finishing issue, He will always take the time to discuss and give his advise whenever anyone asks.
    PRODUCT NUMBER
    PRODUCT NAME
    FORMBY'SŪ Tung Oil Finish, Low Gloss
    MANUFACTURER'S NAME
    FORMBY'S
    10 Mountainview Road
    Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
    Telephone Numbers and Websites
    Product Information
    (800) 523-9299
    Regulatory Information
    (216) 566-2902
    www.paintdocs.com
    Medical Emergency
    (216) 566-2917
    Transportation Emergency
    (800) 424-9300
    for Chemical Emergency ONLY (spill, leak, fire, exposure, or accident)
    SECTION 2 — COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
    % by Weight
    CAS Number
    Ingredient
    Units
    Vapor Pressure
    64742-88-7
    Mineral Spirits
    ACGIH TLV
    PPM
    2 mm
    OSHA PEL
    PPM
    SECTION 3 — HAZARDS IDENTIF
    Last edited by Charles Hans; 05-28-2013 at 11:11 PM.

To sum up what everyone says........ Wipe it on and your project will look great!!!!!

Mine does.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Charles, they do say it has tung oil in it on this page (where I got the quote). Granted, they don't say how much, and it could well be a tiny bit, but it's still contrary to what Steve Mickley said in his blog post. They're also pretty up front also on the same page about the fact that it's a wiping varnish. Not arguing with you at all...just playing devil's advocate in the debate.

Bottom line, though, is that Tom is right.

workingwoods.com