First baseball bat...

Roger Tulk

I had some 3x3 square wood sitting in a corner, so I decided to have a go at making a baseball bat. I haven't turned my lathe on in 18 months, so I knew it would take a bit of work to get myself back in the groove. So this is how it looked after I had knocked off the corners and developed the basic shape. This is a bat for a small child.

Bat01.jpg

Now, I kept leaving bumps and areas that were not smooth, so I kept trying to correct my mistakes, and this is how it ended up...

Bat02.jpg

So, back to the drawing board...

Now seriously, folks

I had my great niece do some sanding, and then I stamped her initials on the bat and gave it to her. I am practising making a bat for my new grandson arriving in September.

Bat03.jpg

Bat04.jpg

Knowng my great-niece as I do, she'll probably save that and tell her kid "Your great-great-uncle Roger made that."

On the plus side, it looks like you handled the bumps and areas that were not smooth. :rofl:

attachment.php

Roger,

Nice pictures of the bat and the young lady! I'm sure she will treasure the bat and hopefully still have it when it is time to beat off suitors. When I was a child nobody in the whole neighborhood had a bat. My brother and I cut the limbs off of a Christmas tree trunk and the whole neighborhood played baseball with that "bat" for most of a year. It was an event when dad took us to the store and bought a Louisville slugger. That bat was still around thirty years or more later, may still be in the family. Baseball bats last a long time and with her initials on it I'm sure that one will be hers long after she is an adult.

Hu

Re the second pic---Just tell the kid it is a pool cue.

Re the beautiful young lady: She has the look of a person who is as nice as they look.

Enjoy,
JimB

She is a wonderful, intelligent young lady. As her father and maternal grandfather are dead, and her other grandpa isn't around a lot, I've become a sort of stand-in grandfather for her, and she's my practise grandchild. She loves to build things with me, and to look through my telescopes. She told me yesterday that I'm like one of the guys on Big Bang Theory, except that I'm fun, and he isn't. :rolleyes: