nothing much

The toy truck ran. A dozen or more toys I wanted worse than a face shield, would have been easy to put it off a little while. I realized it would be easy to put off the next half dozen orders or so too so it got priority. Uvex with the anti-fog faceshield, just under $35 at Amazon. Hope to go to the filtered rig someday but that is awhile off yet. The Crown gouge is old, the grind is new. Headed towards a Lyle Jamieson grind hopefully. PSI chuck, was in the Amazon order too. As many know, my green wood bowls have had a tendency to warp prematurely or crack on me. I figured the precision bowl tweaking tool I turned out of sawtooth oak laying near my lathe might convince them of the error of their ways. If not . . . .

Hu

toolsone 006post.jpg

Congrats on the new goodies, Hu. That face mask is a good one, and an investment you will come to appreciate. One of theas days, sooner or later, something's gonna hit you in the face and you're going to be very thankful you were wearing that mask. :thumb: The chuck will come in very handy, too.

I also like (and empathize) with your precision bowl tweaking tool. I've used the butt end of a lead shot-filled metal gouge handle for the same type of task. ;)

If you modify the shape of the bowl with vigor that face shield will really pay for itself right away.

I have the same face shield. It is comfortable and the vision is great. Being a retired eye doc I got the scratch coating. I don't know if yours has it or not.

Enjoy,
JimB

This is the hardcoat lens. Not sure if that is the anti scratch or Jim is talking about the tear off type covers. Anyway, yes if I get a little too aggressive with my bowl tweaking tool the face shield could be put to the test in a hurry!

I was going to cut grass all day today but I ran out of gas for the lawn mower. Gee, guess all I can do is go turn some wood . . . :D

thanks everyone!

Hu

Got to try my toys for a few hours today. As expected the new bowl gouge grind opened a lot of doors to do things that weren't possible before. Didn't help my one major catch, dummy got to thinking about something else and turned the lathe on after moving the tool rest from the side to the end working on a natural edge vessel. No bark on this one! Hate those tool rest catches.

Was concerned about how cumbersome or intrusive the new face shield might be, happy to say zero issues there. Easy to forget it is on. Of course I have worn hard hats and safety glasses a lot over the years probably helped. The bowl tweaking tool worked fine for a secondary purpose, cutting bark and flattening wood to place my screw chuck with a wood chisel. May get a chance to try tweaking this bowl yet, had to stop for the evening in mid-turn and may not get back to turning until day after tomorrow.

Hu

I like the face shield - a lot - and everyone is right, you need that more than some of the other "toys"... I can attest to that from experience. I've looked at getting that shield to replace the light weight one I have from Woodturner's catalog... but since my little escapade with the flying bowl, I put on the shield before I turn on the lathe and it has saved me more grief.

I have two older Jacobs and need to replace both... they're getting a little worn and bunged up from all the use they get. Congrats on that acquisition.

I've also just gotten the Wolverine sharpening system for my tools... I've been turning for nearly 12 years without a proper sharpening station... I've always used my little belt sander to touch up my tools until they get so out of touch I need to take them to a friends house to re-shape... I've put it on a regular 6" grinder, so my next purchase will need to be a slow speed 8" grinder so I get a really proper grind on my tools.